Is this speaker placement frowned upon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I've got a long narrow room for the HT with two rows of seats. The rear speakers are not far enough back to be behind the second row and they won't go any further back. Right now I've got a 5.1 amplifier, but may move up to a 6.1 next year.
    For now my crazy idea is to put two speakers on the back wall (like in a 7.1 system) and run each one in series (or parallel, which ever is best) with a current rear speaker, making each pair play the same thing. That way the back row people would have surround sound as well. Is this crazy or unheard of? If I move up to a 6.1 amp I would keep them in place and use them as a 7.1 setup as I cannot have a single rear in the middle of that wall on accound of a window.
    jeremy

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The volume level will be reduced by 3dB for each speaker wired in series with the other one. You won't experience an overall gain in loudness, but will be able to spread out the sound.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

3. John H

John H Second Unit

I use 2 pairs of surrounds in a 5.1 system. 1 pair on the sidewalls directly across from the listening position. The other pair is on the rear wall.
    In the past I have run each pair in parallel from 1 amplifier channel.
    I currently use seperate amplifiers for each pair. Both have input gain controls. This allows me to tweak the balance relationship of each pair.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater

4. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

What's the best way to wire them up to my existing amp? Can I just stick two sets of wire into each terminal or use a Y splitter or what?
    jeremy