Is this speaker arrangement optimal?

Alright, I got the bug to move to 7.1. I have a couple of boston micro110x's as sourround backs.
I've posted pictures of my setup before and you guys helped me get everything where it needs to be.
I have the new ones firing at the center of the couch. They are also set up directly across from the mains and at the same height as the rears.

Also, do you guys use anything to cover up the dangling speaker wire?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mitch

I have not gotten around to covering up my speaker wire, however there are more than a few ways to go. Here is one I found interesting:

http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...mate/index.asp

Happy New Year

PS Please let me know what other products you find to cover up dangling speaker wires. TX

PPS http://www.cableorganizer.com

also has some fine products and is an HTF sponsor

Please keep me up to date on your plans

Oh well. I figured someone would've gave some input. I went ahead and wired 'em up and they sound fine.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mitch;
Your setup looks fine for your surrounds, though at that distance, I'm not so sure you'll gain much using 7.1 as opposed to 5.1. In my experience, I've found that if there's less than 5-6 feet behind the listening area, the additional rear surrounds have little to no affect on the surround soundstage. This is easy enough to experiment with turning on and off the rear surrounds while listening to some material that has rear surround information (6.1 ES movies, Dolby Pro Logic IIx for music, etc.) to determine for yourself, though.

Arthur's suggestions for the Wiremold covers are right on the money. Other than that, you could purchase a wire snake ($15-20 at Home Depot/Lowes), pop a small hole behind your speaker, snake it to a location below where you can bring the wiring out and just compound patch and paint around the wiring to have only the wiring show if your holes are larger.... -TD

Awesome, thanks. After listening for a couple days, it does make a decent difference. The rear sounds huge and more full compared to a few days ago. I've been using PLIIx on my yamaha htr 5890. I plan to pop in an authentic 6.1 movie for the real test. I think I have a couple laying around (LOTR, star wars)
Maybe it's the type of rears I use (not as full sounding as others?), but I think I made a good choice.
Last year when I posted, I had my rears right next to the couch on stands. You guys let me know that was wrong. I'm very grateful for that considering the outcome

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
attlasrex