What's new

Is this setup “DEGRADING”? Please Help (1 Viewer)

Shawn_T

Agent
Hi,
Since the video signal have to travel through the A/V Unit, doesn’t it loose
a bit of quality and ‘degrades’ a bit?
Here is the SETUP:
================================================== ====================
TV: 36” Sony WEGA KV-36XBR250 [June 1999, no Progressive Scan feature]
A/V Unit: Sony STR-DE835
DVD Player: JVC XV-D701
PlayStation2: Gaming Console
SEGA Dreamcast: Gaming Console
================================================== ====================
Generic “SVGA” Cable from TV’s OUT into A/V Unit’s “SVGA IN”
“SVGA Monster Cable" from DVD Player into A/V Unit’s “SVGA IN”
PlayStation2 --> VIDEO 4 (Directly to TV’s VIDEO 4 Input, not A/V Unit)
SEGA Dreamcast --> VIDEO 1 (A/V Unit)
DVD --> VIDEO 1 (A/V Unit)
VHS Player --> VIDEO 2 (A/V Unit)
VIDEO 2 (TV’s front Panel) --> NOT USED
VIDEO 3 --> NOT USED (both TV’s Input and A/V Unit)
So, when I press VIDEO 1 on my A/V Unit’s Remote Control, I get SEGA Dreamcast signal,
then if press DVD I get DVD’s signal and finally VHS button provides the VHS’ signal.
The only time that I need to press “input” button on my A/V unit, is when I want to get
PlaySation2 signal (remember it is connected to my VIDEO 4 input of TV unit)
Final WORD:
I know it is a very subjective matter, but when I had my DVD Player connected to my VIDEO 4 Input
of TV using “COMPONENT” Monster Cable, compared to this setup I can NOT tell the difference.
My PlayStation2 is also connected via a “COMPONENT” Monster Cable.
Here are some pictures: (older setup when DVD was connected va COMPONENT)
http://www.slip.net/~tooryani/DC/jvc_back.jpg
http://www.slip.net/~tooryani/DC/jvc_1.jpg
http://www.slip.net/~tooryani/DC/jvc_2.jpg
------------------
Best Regards,
Shawn
[Edited last by Shawn_T on October 03, 2001 at 03:22 AM]
[Edited last by Shawn_T on October 03, 2001 at 03:26 AM]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When using the component cable, you will not be able to tell a difference if you do not RECALIBRATE (Video Essentials or Avia) after switching the cable. Sending the same signal will look very much the same. For me, there was a noticable difference going from S-vid to component, but I could really tell when I did the calibrations. DVDs have a much more crisp, rich color now.
If you don't notice a difference in picture quality, I say leave it that way, but I also have to say I would personally never use my AVR to do video switching.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
just do a test. run the video signal directly to your tv and take a look. then run it through your receiver and see if you notice a difference. if you don't, then just do whatever setup works for you.
in my case, i run everything through my receiver using composite cables. it's more convenient then having to switch two sources. if i ever go component, then i'll do some more testing first.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Shawn_T

Agent
Thanks for the response. I used to have them connected via VIDEO 1, 3, and 4 and changing the input (sound and picture). But that I realized how easy it is to press a button on remote and get BOTH sound and video signal, is a good one.
I am thinking to get a SVGA Connector for PlayStation2 instead of the the currrent Component one. (actually it used to be like this, but for the game GRAN TURISMO 3 I bought the Component Cable).
------------------
Best Regards,
Shawn

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Shawn: your post is fairly confusing. It does not matter if you are plugged into VIDEO 1 vs VIDEO 4. It's more important WHAT KIND OF CABLE you are using. Here is why:
COMPOSITE VIDEO: This is a single video cable with RCA plugs at each end. It mixes the video signals so your TV has to seperate the signals out with a circuit called a "comb" filter. A comb filter takes composite video and outputs Seperated Video (or SVIDEO). This is the most important circuit in your TV and analog televisions are judged almost soley on how good the comb filter is. (There are some good external comb filters you can buy. One is from Farajuda and retails for about $12,000. This kind of shows you how hard/expensive it is to make a good one).
SVIDEO: This is a thin cable that really has 2 wires inside and has a funny connector like a PC keyboard plug. This has 2 of the video signals seperated out so it by-passes the comb filter in your TV. 9It is as though you had a "perfect" comb filter). This results in a 20% "better" picture over composite on a 50" TV.
COMPONENT VIDEO: This is a set of 3 composite video cables with RCA plugs. This is the best and can result in a 25% "better" picture over composite.
Since your DVD and PlayStation2 both offer SVIDEO, you should be using these types of cables. Not composite.
And since the video-producers are sitting a few feet away from the TV, there should be very little degradation by running through the receiver.
(In truth: you are more likely to have degridation simply because of loose connections caused by josstling the cables).
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks