Is this setting for brightness too high?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Chang, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

I just used Avia on my Panny 47wx42 and the setting for brightness seems too high (38). It even looks too bright (maybe I'm just used to a darker picture?). For the test I kept reducing it until I could barely tell there was even a right bar moving back and forth. The left bar wasn't visible at all. I just want to know if this could cause any problems. So here are the rest of my settings

Color 29
    Tint 30
    Brightness 38
    Picture 28
    Sharpness 29

These appear to be the optimal conditions according to Avia...

2. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

excessive brightness wipes out your pastels quickly, so look for those subtle colors in your picture.

No contrast control? contrast is specifically for 'edge' definition, and when turned up too high, it can blur the fine line between objects.

3. Chris Chang

Picture is the contrast control.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Chris,
    What kind of lighting condition do you use? When doing the setup, you should do it under the same lighting condition that you want to tune for.
    Anyway, your settings look ok enough although you might want to doublecheck your sharpness. That seems pretty high to me. Your settings will differ from everyone else's due to various factors.
    So how does the picture look now? Did you do the E/M-focus like you mentioned earlier?
    I'm still waiting for my Avia disc to arrive and for the set to settle in. I should be ready to do the real tweaking some time next week while I'm on "vacation". [​IMG]
    _Man_

5. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    Those settings look very acceptable to me. The brightness may be a bit high, but each set varies. As Mr. Wong suggests that sharpness level may be a little high too. Most panny owners I know keep it around 10 or 15. Everything else is right on.
    Enjoy [​IMG]

6. SeanWillis

SeanWillis Agent

Your settings are similar to mine except for picture and sharpness, both of which are turned way down. My picture setting is 12 for two reasons. One, paranoid about burn in and two, whites just bloom when any higher, especially in a movie like Minority Report or during CBS HD sporting events. I know some of this is input related (Minority Report shot to be high contrast), but I find high picture setting doesn't really allow me to see different shades of white well. Out of curiosity, what is your temperature setting. I know most people suggest the warm setting. Mine is normal because I find blacks develop this red colouring turning them into a very dark brown.

Cheers,

Sean

7. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

is it possible you have an un-terminated video connection?

8. Chris Chang

I keep my temperature setting on normal. And I used Avia with an almost completely dark room. The picture actually looked pretty damn good when I watched BttF with a few friends last night.

And with sharpness, I just kept turning it down until I couldn't see the faint lines around the black pattern in the middle. Should I be looking for something else? I found this to be the easiest to look for besides the differing colors in the top and bottom patterns...

And with the picture, or contrast setting, I found that to be the hardest to eyeball. Turning it up really high didn't seem to cause much blooming, so I turned it up until the lines on either side starting bending and stopped there. I did notice, however, that Minority Report looked absolutely terrible. I guess I have to turn the contrast down for that one.

Anyway, I just started break today, so I'm going to start working on it now. Thanks for the help guys.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Chris,
    That bending line pattern is for maximum allowable Contrast (Picture) setting, not the ideal setting, which is why your picture looks too bright.

For Contrast (Picture), go to the pattern with the stacked boxes on the right side of the screen. Turn Picture down until the top box is noticeabley gray, then back up until it just turns truly white, don't go up any further.

After this do the brightness adjustment with the black bars and half gray pattern in the advanced video section of AVIA. The pattern the narration tells you to use isn't too good for rptvs because the bright side of the screen causes internal reflections in the set that wash out the black bars. Using the half gray pattern will cut way down on this internal reflection and give you a more accurate setting.

10. Chris Chang

Thanks for the advice on the contrast setting. I found that 21 was the best setting. For brightness, however, I couldn't even see the black bars. I know you said not to use them, but I don't know how to use the half-grey pattern. What do I look for?