Is this room big enough?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake Gove, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

I have a room in my basement with no windows that is 14 feet wide and 16 feet long. I'd like to mount a projector on the ceiling. What I'm really asking is this room long enough? How far does the projector have to be from the screen?
    Thanks

2. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

How far back a projector needs to be depends on the actual projector. If you goto www.projectorcentral.com and pick a model you might be interested in, there is a little calculator you can use to determine screen size vs. projector distance.
    By the way, I have my projector in a 12' x 12' room, so I think yours is big enough.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

6. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    I got a Toshiba TLP-710. It's a LCD projector with about 1400 Lumens and does XGA or 1024x768. I just got it used and really like it. I've got it hooked to my computer but looks good with my regular dvd player too. Right now I'm just shooting it onto the wall. Gotta save up and research screens before I get one.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you can make your room truly dark then I would get a low gain screen. I am using a 1.0 gain screen for instance. You will get more hotspots with a higher gain screen and if you view from the sides, it may wash out like a rear projection TV screen. What size 4x3 screen are you thinking of getting. How far back are you from the screen and what size are you projecting on the wall now. There are many options when it comes to screens. If you wanted, you could get a motorized tension screen (big $$$) or a pulldown for much less coinage.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    Neil's H.T. Site
    (plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

8. Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson Stunt Coordinator

Just curious, how much would a decent screen run price wise?
    ------------------
    Me

9. andyg

andyg Agent

A Stewart screen (Which is recommended by ISF) with a 84" wide 1.78:1 aspect, 1.3 gain, and a 1 1/2" black velvet border will run you around $1200 retail a little less if you have purchased a package from your HT supplier.
    --Andy Garabedian

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I will add on screens that I built one by hand based on some advice at TheBigPicture.com, in the Sony w400q forum. Basically you use canvas drop cloth, paint it with a base blocker, then use a couple of coats of flat white.
    For the frame you just build it with 2x2s and brackets. I pulled the canvas over and tight, then stapled it along the back of the 2x2s. To keep it tight I just pulled the hell out of it and worked from side to side. I only ended up with one very small crease that I don't see during playback.
    All supplies came from Sherman-Williams and totalled about $65-$70.
    I'd love a cool screen, but $500+ vs $70...that math worked for me.
    I need to get my pictures up to show how it looks, but trust me when I say it's very effective.
    People also use the paint method on the wall itself if they have a flat surface. Of course, in both cases these are fixed screens, not drop downs. If your room is dedicated then it doesn't matter.

11. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Josh I did a DIY screen and used a drop cloth from Home Depot I read (Thanks victor). I had a Draper glass bead I cut moving [​IMG] and can not tell much difference. $18 for the "drop screen". Email me and I give you the sku and model # and more info. Good Luck
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have a room that is 12x14 and I use a sony CRT projector.
    I ended up with a 70 inch wide screen (16x9), and the projector is about 90 inches back from the screen.I also built my own acreen, made the frame with 2x4 using my miter saw; and stretched WHITE COTTN 2 PASS material, which you can buy at any fabric store (It's used to line drapes to block out light).
    The Fabric even has 2 sides, a matte white side and then a bit of a shiny coated side. Works great, and I haven't had any complaints.
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Like OFFICE SPACE? Your feedback can help us get a SE reissue, Click Here.
    "If you want everything to be cheap then you're in the wrong hobby." -Rob Gillespie