Is this room big enough for a front projector?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake Gove, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

This is a room in my basement, that has no windows. When we had our house built, I envisioned this basement bedroom as my future dedicated home theater so I had them leave out the windows. Now I'm wondering if it's big enough for a front projector.
    [​IMG]
    Since the wall is 12 1/2 feet, ideally I would like an 8 foot screen. I was thinking I'd mount the projector in the ceiling 10-11 feet from the screen wall. Is this feasible with an 8 foot screen? Is this room long enough for seating for an 8 foot screen (how far would one need to sit back?).
    ------------------
    Jake
    http://www.jawsmovie.com My JAWS Fansite
    http://www.dvdscoop.com/apc/default.htm My Arcade PC
    http://www.dvdscoop.com/ht/ My Home Theater Pics

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

A front projector will work well in your room. I've installed them in smaller rooms. I'd suggest a screen that is a touch smaller. You are giving yourself very little manuevering room for speaker placement. Speakers cannot be placed anywhere you have free space. If you want optimal sound to go with the big screen, you'll need a little more room. Your seating may also be too close for an eight foot wide screen. If you do two rows the first row will be quite close. All projectors have a fixed throw distance or a range (which is not very large) where they must be mounted for a given screen size. You can't just decide to mount the projector eleven feet back and then put up whatever size screen that you'd like. However, the distance you've described is in the ballpark. Good luck.

3. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

4. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

A rough guide is to be 2.5 times the diagonal measurement away form the screen.
    www.crutchfield.com has a Guide to Home Thatre with a handy chart on one of the pages that would give you some ideas.
    If it is too big it will be nauseating as having to consciously move your head form side to side to see the whole picture will not be enjoyable.
    There is another calculation you can do based on the size of the field of view. All I can remember is that to be true thatre-like the FOV should be AT LEAST 30 degrees, but I can't remember the maximum ideal FOV.
    Maybe someone else can provide that if they know it.
    Thanks
    Robin Smith

5. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

The throw distance is really projector dependant, but I think you'll be okay. For example, if memory serves, the NEC LT-150 only needs a 13' throw distance for a 120" screen.
    I sit about eight feet away from my screen and I never feel the need to move my head side to side to catch all the action.

6. Martin W

Martin W Agent

It seems like a very nice room for a HT. It's not too small, I use a frontprojector in my room which is smaller, and the room is not even dedicated. I would probably go with a 8 feet wide screen, but that's just me. It's really a matter of personal preference what viewing angle you prefer.
    Also, don't forget to punch out that left wall and make a neat little bar of the space! [​IMG]
    ------------------