Is this right?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TreyP, Feb 11, 2002.

1. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

I've got a satellite reciver, vcr, dvd player, and xbox. For each one of these, I run the video straight to the TV, and the sound straight to the reciever. Does this sound right, or should I be doing it a different way? I notice that my reciever has video inputs and outputs on it, but I don't use them.

2. Roland_Sjouw

Roland_Sjouw Extra

3. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Your way is not right or wrong. It's one way to do things. Some people run all of their video and audio through the A/V receiver, so everything runs through the same source. They like the convenience. Others, like you, run the video straight to the TV and then run audio to the receiver.

I do the same thing that you do. I run my DVD player, VCR, PS2, cable, etc. straight to the TV. I want the purest video possible, and running cables straight to the TV are the best way to get that. Then I have Digital and analogc audio cables running straight from the different sources and my TV into my receiver's audio inputs.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Trey,

As Jeffrey said, there are different ways to do it, and it is a matter of personal Pref. I persoanlly fall on the opposite pref from Jeffrey, I use my receiver as a video switcher as well as audio device.

In your case your display (TV) has enough inputs to handle all the various sources you're feeding it-- and you simply toggle between the sources on the TV. In my case, I don't have enough inputs on the Display (in my case a projector) to receive all the inputs I'd like to feed it, so I use my receiver to switch.

BUt, honestly, even if I did have a set like yours which had enough video inputs to handle all the sources, I'd still run through the receiver. Running through the receiver gives one touch switching for audio and video- without being bother with changing the TV mode and the receiver mode independently.

I have run extensive tests with my DENON 3300 reciver, and the video switching is perfect- I cannot see nor even MEASURE a degrade in video signal for standard NTSC stuff. I don't know if that can be said for every receiver-- but for even Mid-range products, I think the idea of more "pure" signal going direct to the TV is a misconception.

So- again, it comes down to your pref. I like video switching via the receiver because it makes the receiver the control center for everything... and simplifies operation of the system.

-Vince

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i also like running everything through my receiver. i really like the "one-stop" switching.

what you'll need to do is test for yourself. run the video through the receiver and see if you notice any signal degredation. if you do, the choice is obvious - send the video directly to the tv.

if you do not notice any signal loss, see if you like the one-stop switching. i bet you will. it's much easier to only change one input (on the receiver) then two inputs (on the receiver for audio, on the tv for video).

in any case, there's no right or wrong answer here...it's totally personal preference!

6. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Trey & etc,

Four things to be aware of:

1) In lab tests, Component video (NTSC) is only 5%

sharper, on TV's 36 inch or larger, than S-Video.

S-video is a 30%-40% improvement over composite video.

2) Receivers costing less than 1K USD do not have

video converters. In other words, if you want an S-video

output, you must have all S-video inputs.

3) Composite to S-video converters are available from

Radio Shack for 19 USD, and better ones are 90 USD from

Entec/monster.

4) Systems that use the receiver to switch the video, are

more user friendly than the ones that require the TV to be

switched.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Then, there are people like me who have a hybrid. My DVD composite cables go directly to the TV, but all the other video goes to the receiver. This makes for some quirky settings, but it's all in the best quality and allows me to listen to music while playing video games.

8. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter