What's new

Is this really a universal remote? (1 Viewer)

Matt Andrus

Auditioning
I just ordered a new Zenith C32V37, but it wont be delivered for a while. I was wondering if anyone owned one of these and could answer a question I had about the remote. The zenith web site says that it comes with a universal remote, but the guy that I talked to at best buy said that the remote only works with other zenith products. Does anyone know if this is a true multi-brand universal remote?

Thanks in advance,
Matt Andrus

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Most likely it isn't multibrand, just multi unit of the same brand. This is the same for the "universal" remote that came with my RCA TV. It works with the TV, and to control the Xbox's DVD, but other than that, I can't get it to control any other devices. So I opted for a One For All URC-9911B00. It works wonders, and the Macros are a blessing.

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
In my experience, most remotes these days are multibrand. They usually will control more functions on other equipment from the same manufacturer, but come with lists of codes which you can 'program' into the remote to enable it to operate at least the basic functions of other brand equipment.

Then there are 'learning' remotes which can learn most, if not all, of the functions from a piece of equipment's original remote. You usually have to buy a learning remote separately. I'm not familiar with the One For All which Mark mentioned. The Home Theater Master MX-500 is a popular learning remote.

Jack

This brings up a question I've had for a while. Is there a combo universal (with the codes) AND learning remote available? Reason is it would be easier to put in a code for come devices, but then use the learning functionality for devices that are more unique, etc.

Personally I've always wondered why they don't make the $20 remotes have that functionality (most of the $20 are multivendor "universal" remotes). I know the price for the chips that do the "learning" part can't be a couple of bucks anymore....... I mean, this isn't new technology anymore.

Anyone seen such a beast? Any while I'm at it, I want it to be able to do macros and have a back-/side-lit LCD touchscreen :D

Mike W.

Update: I knew these were out there....... but I never had a need for one before. Anyone like the Sony RM-AV300? I found one on the net for $112+$9 shipping. Very good price.......

MikeSRC

Second Unit
You can get a One for All 8811 or a Radio Shack 15-2116 for under $30. Both have large IR databases, macro and learning ability (although learning is limited to about 20-25 commands) and they're JP1-able (see www.hifi-remote.com for JP1 info). With JP1 they can do anything.

The AV3000 is a nice remote for the price, but it's rather large and both of the buttons can't be customized. If you like a lower-priced touchscreen remote though, it's a good choice. Personally, in that price range, I prefer the Home Theater Master MX-500.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Mike, the remote that I mentioned earlier has a large database of preprogrammed codes, but also allows just about any button on the remote to be reassigned with a learned function. It's quite handy, if you ask me.

Wow......... Seems there's an entire world of remotes and technology to get more aquainted with before I just run out and buy one.......

Geez......

Mike W.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
The 9911 (or 9910 in the U.S.) also has RF capbility. The 8910 is the same without the RF. The 8811 and 2116 both allow learning to any button, as well as advanced code assignment and JP1. Also check www.oneforall.com

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
True, and what Mike said about the RF is quite handy. It comes with a seperate reciever with an antenna on it. You plug this in, and it acts as a simple IR repeater. Also, for devices that are not close to other devices, it comes with a small wire with a mini IR emmitter on the end of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks