Is this projector right for me????

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Terry_RD, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Terry_RD

Looking for some imput before I get into far to change my plans.
    I picked up a marquee 1810 with a bad Blue CRT for free and proceeded to purchase a service manual and nice used blue crt for 250.00 and installed it.I checked the service mode and it has 10,000 hours in use and 30,000 hours in stand-by. I was also informed that all the CRT's were replaced over the last 3 years. So now I have the projector and have always wanted to setup a HT.I am anxious to know if this is a good start or not

I have a room that is 25ft long,15ft wide, with /finished ceiling 7ft. This is not going to be a dedicated HT room but will also double as a play room. It presently hasn't been finished, but I will be starting in the next month.

I plan to put my 32" Wega down stairs with a ceiling mount screen that comes down in front of the Wega for my big screen enjoyment.

Is this too much projector for my limited space or is this a dinosaur that should be retired? I would prefer to go with rear projection but it appears that may limit my screen size too much due to the distance requirements (If I am wrong please tell me) so I will probally end up going with a ceiling mount.

Also I have been looking at the throw distance formulas, are those sizes for screen size to throw set in stone or is there some play in that without degrading image quality?

I have been reading what I can find on the 8110 but would be interested in hearing from anyone that is familiar with this make and model.

Please excuse my long post.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph
    Moving to Displays. I will chime in later.

3. Bill Cowmeadow

So you're into this projector for less than $300.00

Less than 3yrs on the CRT's, makes it a keeper. Yes, CRT's are huge, but you have a great size room for it. Mount it back from the screen 12-14ft and you'll have about a 100" diagonal display. I don't know much about this projector, but if you know your way around the set-up screens and controls, you will have a nice image. set it up and use it for a year or so, once you have a 100" screen, nothing else will satisfy you. Enjoy.

Welcome to the HTF.

Bill