Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Handy, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Hi all,

I am thinking of making the HTPC plunge but have the restriction of using my main home PC. What I envision for the setup is running VGA, keyboard, and mouse cables into my home theater. Does anybody know if 25+ ft runs of VGA, keyboard, or mouse cables present any problems in terms of signal fidelity?

I wish I had the luxury of making a whole new computer but the wife is a bit squeamish about my new hobby and I need to do it this way until she is convinced.

Thanks

Jason

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I think they'll work fine. you could also look into getting a wireless keyboard mouse. but you have to find one that is designed for long distances. alot of them are designed for nothing more than 4 feet.
    another option would be to think about using an Infrared keyboard/mouse combo, and then using an infrared powermid (X10, radio shack) to relay the signal from the home theater to the pc. not sure how reliable this would be, but if you're not afraid to give it a try the powermids are always useful for controlling av equipment from other rooms. you'll definitely benefit from a wireless keyboard/mouse in the home theatre anyways.
    I believe the best one of these available are the "airboard" series. Just about all of the IR keyboard use the two PS2 ports on the PC. so when you do this you would need to use USB devices for the desk location. The other way you could go would be to use USB wireless for the home theater and use the PS2 ports for the desk location. This would require you to find a good long distance wireless keyboard mouse combo though.
    I think the cool thing with going all IR would be that adding an IRMAN receiver to the HTPC would allow you to control software on the HTPC from the home theater, seeing as how you already relay the IR with the powermid.
    ok, back to playing with my pronto now,... [​IMG]

3. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Thanks for such a great response, Hugh. I will take your advice to heart when I take the plunge. All I gotta do now is get my display set up right!

Jason

4. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

yeah, I just started working at a place which has alot of $10K+ HDTVs standing around with empty VGA ports on them.

its quite distracting!!