Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
I have the following equipment:

Mits 55819 TV
Integra DTR 5.1 receiver
Panasonic RP-91 DVD player

My TV has no DVI or HDMI input, only DTV (5 RCA type jacks) that is capable of 480i/480p/1080i input. I understand that Hi-Def DVD players cannot upconvert to DTV inputs.

However, is there any kind of box or adapter that would allow such upconversion? Can a Hi-Def DVD player upconvert to a computer as an intermediary that could be hooked up to the TV.

Also, would my receiver be able to handle the sound from a Hi-Def DVD player?

Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

Thank you!

Bruce

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Never heard of that one Bruce sorry! And there are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary and those that do not.

And are you asking about HD DVD (which is dead)? Or are you asking about BluRay Decks? If you need analogue 5.1 outs there are decks that do that, but you may be better off using the optical out of a PS3 as your first BluRay deck, for reasons that are listed if in another thread in this forum since I suspect that your receiver is not set up to handle full uncompressed sound anyway. If you are asking about HD DVD there are similar answers but finding them may be a lot harder!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I took a peek at the owner's manual online. Not all 5 of those plugs have to be used. The YPbPr are component video ins and the other two are for RGB green sync or RGB H/V sync. You just have to make sure your resolution output on the BD player is set to 1080i, as your TV won't accept a 720p signal.

campark43

Grip
Real Name
Campbell Park
This is not a big problem. Here's your best option.

Use component video from your Blu-ray. You mentioned HD DVD?? If you mean a upconverting/upscaling DVD player you would still use component cables. Set the blu-ray/dvd player to 1080i, make sure your components are plugged into the right input as your tv only accepts 1080i through 1 of 3 inputs.

If you have a fairly new receiver, you can probably run multichannel analog from blu-ray to receiver for HD audio(meaning you need at least 6 rca to rca cables. I would recommend rg-6 custom made by a home theater installer). If you have a hdmi 1.3 capable receiver run a hdmi to your receiver instead.

set the equipment settings properly, your done.

Cam Park
ChameleonAudio.ca

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No upconverting DVD player is going to upconvert via component with most commercial DVD's. They require HDMI. Same thing with standard DVD via a Blu-Ray.

campark43

Grip
Real Name
Campbell Park
I think you should check your info again, I said 1080i thru component, blu-ray players will output 1080I thru component when your watching a blu-ray disc. When your watching a DVD they output 480p. No they won'[t do 1080p but he doesn't have a 1080p tv.

Why try to correct someone when you don't know what your talking about?
Tell us what's a better way for him to hook up his tv.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I was speaking to the fact that you mentioned an upconverting/upscaling DVD player and then recommended that he set it (and/or the Blu-Ray) to 1080i. I simply posted that no "upconverting/upscaling DVD player" is going to output 1080i via component.

And I wasn't even rude about it. ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I cannot answer as to whether a HD player could upconvert 480 to 1080i to a HTPC and then be output to the TV; although, I doubt it. I believe there are only four ways to upconvert 480 to 1080i through component.

They would be:

1) Burn your DVDs using software that removes all copy protection and then use a HD or upconverting player to play them. I tried this method and found it to be hit and miss.

2) Build a dedicated HTPC with a Blu-ray drive that would allow you to adjust your scaling options.

3) Use an outboard video scaler. Feed the 480 signal to it and allow the video scaler to do the upconversion thru component for you. With this method you would connect the player to the scaler using component cables, not HDMI.

4) Replace your TV set with one that has HDMI inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebox
Recent bookmarks