What's new

Is this possible? (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I just turned up the sound near the max for a few seconds on my DE985 and now my 2 front speakers sound weird, could they have blown up? How is this possible?

Anyway I have the extended warranty so I can exchange them.

Shouldn't they be able to support the receiver's power of 100 watts since they are rated at 100 watts?

Thanks

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Well the voice in music seems to come loud and soft and the sound seems very distorted and missing a lot of detail, when I put my rear speakers in the front the sound is perfect.

AaronJB

Second Unit
Given what you've described, I'm sorry to say it sounds like you may have gotten two bad fronts. I'm not an expert and I could be wrong, but given what you've said (when the rears are put in their place they sound fine), that's what I'm lead to believe. The only other thing it could be is a connection issue (not securely hooked up) or something wrong with the wires included.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
They were fine until I turned up the volume all the way for only 1-2 second to see how loud my system would go. I thought the speakers could handle the amp's power since they are both 100 watts, is it possible they cannot support the receiver set to maximum volume?

What should I tell the guys at sony when I return them? Should I just say they were like that?

I also notice the distortion doesn't occur on low volumes, only on medium volumes or louder.

Thanks

keir

Stunt Coordinator
the volume knob has no correlation whatsoever to the power delivered to the speaker. on the contrary, when you max out the volume knob its delivering a badly distorted and clipped signal and attempting to supply more power than it can handle. its very likely the speaker is damaged if it now sounds bad. you should NEVER turn the volume up like that. no matter how powerful the amp is.
and this has nothing to do with bad front speakers. it sounds to me like you destroyed them :frowning:
whoops didnt mean to have a smily face.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
So what should I tell the sony guys when I return them? Can I return only the 2 bad ones even though I got them as 5.1 speaker kit?

Thanks

keir

Stunt Coordinator
i doubt the warranty covers abuse, but i also doubt they're going to be too hard on you. i suspect they would let you swap out your fronts. but who knows.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I took the extended warranty, and no one ever told me I shouldn't put it all the way up, how was I suposed to know?

I would have though it would be made good enough to not self-destruct.

I often put my minisystems to 100% with no problems.

Thanks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
But that's not how you should use any system. Sony's not obligated to swap out speakers you ruined through abuse, but they might do so anyway.

Loud transients can destroy an overdriven speaker, and extended high-frequency signals can fry tweeters.

Then there's the issue of one's hearing. Once the hearing is damaged, it's permanent.

I saw your other thread in "Basics." Which do you prefer to remain open?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks