Is this possible or will I blow my amp up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_J_M, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Tim_J_M

Tim_J_M Agent

I have a DIY sub with a built in amp. The amp has both RCA and speaker level inputs.
    I have a 2 channel and HT system in one and I use a preamp with an HT bypass to seperate both systems.

I would like to connect the LFE out from my receiver to the RCA input on the sub amp (which is how its connected now) but Id also like to use my sub in 2 channel listening and the only way to do that is to run another set of speaker cables from the amp to the speeker level inputs on the sub amp. When in 2 channel mode the sub amp will only be getting signals from the speaker level inputs. When I switch to HT mode it will be getting signal from the RCA inputs coming from the LFE output on the receiver AND still from the speaker level inputs from the amp.

Will this blow the amp up? Hell is it even possible? What would be a better alternative? My preamp does have 2 outputs but Ive heard its better to go the speaker wire way and not the RCA way.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No, I don't think this will damage the receiver or sub, however, I don't think it will work since in HT mode, both will be active.

What receiver??!! Always helps if you give enough information, as this could make a difference.

Most receivers these days allow the use of the sub in 2 ch mode via speaker size and other bass management settings.

You've "heard" the speaker wire way is better, but have you actually tried it? Make that decision for yourself.

3. Tim_J_M

Tim_J_M Agent

The way I have it setup now is.. I use the 2 front channel preouts on the receiver (Harman Kardon AVR320) to feed into my preamp HT input. All my sources except my DVDP feed into the preamp as well and I just switch to whichever input (CDP or TT) when in 2 channel listening. When I wanna do HT I switch to the HT input which basically just feeds the signal coming from my receiver straight to my amp.

I am using the LFE output on the receiver straight out to the sub amp.

Hope that helps.