What's new

Is this possible? Dual monitor setup and Component TV out all running simultaneously? (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
I really need this for video editing. DUal monitor setup for obvious reasons but I want component output to run it to a HDTV monitor for real time previewing.

Would a setup like this work?

-ATI Radeon 9700 or 9800 Pro with ATI DVI-to component adapter
(VGA output would be monitor #1, DVI would be component out)
-Some random PCI video card
(for monitor #2)

Would this work properly? The component out should only be delivering the overlay (video portion) of the editing app, but I think it would do this automatically anyway judging from previous experience with TV out.

Complicated setup, but I need it bad.

And if this wouldn't work...is there anything that will?

HELP!! I've asked on other computer forums but no one has any experience with the component stuff. I figured here would be a better place to ask.

thanks

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Kami, there may be an issue with getting powerstrip to work on the secondary (DVI) output with the component adapter. There was an issue with using the ATI component breakout adapter and Powerstrip, where powerstrip would not have access to several HDTV modes. And, in the modes that do work, there is a problem with excessive overscan. Supposedly these are issues with the Catalyst drivers, although that could be fixed in the latest revision (3.9).

I got my information from www.avsforum.com , in the Home Theater Computers forum. A lot of posters there have AIW 9800/9600 Radeon Pros. Look into the video overlay issue closely though...my understanding is that there may be a difference in how this is handled on the 9600 over the 9800 (the 9600 supposedly is more flexible).

The PCI video card shouldn't be an issue at any rate.

Sorry I can't be of much more help...I was doing a bit of research on the ATI cards for future purchase, but have decided to hold off until Half Life 2 comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks