What's new

Is This Phishing? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve just had a couple of emails, hulu at hulumail dot com and facebook at facebookmail dot com. I’m thinking theses are not valid email addresses but are phishing attempts. For Hulu it’s asking me to enroll for a weeks free subscription and looks valid. I’m also already a subscriber and those emails don’t look like they really belong to facebook and hulu. What say you?

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
Most likely it's Phishing or some other scam.

Phishing/scams almost always use emails that look similar to a genuine email from a reputable company.

A few years ago, some lady got an email from what she thought was her bank... and of course clicking the link brought her to a fake version of the bank's website... and she blindly logged into her account on the fake website. She realized her mistake a bit after loading her credentials into the fake website, but it was already too late, and her bank account was already drained. The entire episode lasted less than 5 minutes from opening the email to logging into the fake website, to getting her bank account drained.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You can also look at the full headers on those emails to see where they truly originated. Most email systems hide that but it's easy enough to see with a couple of clicks. Yahoo mail calls it "raw message" when reading the email - Google has a menu option to show the full message (I forget what they call it but it's easy to find). You'll get lots of stuff that'll be of no consequence but you can get the full path the email took on its journey to you as well as the true sender, even if the name displayed is something that looks OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks