What's new

Is This Overscan, and How Can I Fix It? (1 Viewer)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my situation:
I have a 32" Loewe Calida TV (I like it most of the time, so please don't hack on me for buying it) that has an automatic 16: 9 sensor for DVD's. When I watch a 1.85:1 anamorphic disc I get no black bars from the disc; even though I should get minute black bars between the 1.85:1 film and the 1.78:1 "frame", I'm not really getting them.
To be specific, I do get some black (from the disc, assumedly) below the film, but there is nothing above the film. In fact, when I checked it against 4:3 mode with individual frames, I am actually losing a little bit of the top of the film in 16: 9/squeeze mode.
Does this have something to do with overscan? When I run VE and the 16: 9 test patterns I can see the safe areas and up to what seems to be the outside line of the frame.
I know I'm only missing a tiny bit of picture information, and it's not like I'm a dyed-in-the-wool purist who has to see the WHOLE frame, it's just that for any scene where headroom is tight, my set makes it even tighter (lack of headroom is a major pet peeve of mine).
Anyway, hope everyone can shed some light on my dilemma. I don't expect anybody to know how to fix this on the Loewe, but once I understand the issues I can at lease use the right lingo when talking to Loewe's help guys. If people with Wegas or other TV's with the squeeze have had a similar problem their stories would be very helpful.
Thanks.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Be aware that for most CRT based TV sets the entire picture is slightly larger when the overall content is quite light. So if you adjust it for no overscan with a bright scene, you may see ragged edges of the picture with possibly annoying streaks of light during a dark scene.
This is a possible explanation of why you are seeing the edges of a movie cut off while the VE test pattern (overall dark content) shows the extreme edges.
If you see black below but not above a 1.85:1 picture, the overall picture might not be centered on the screen vertically. There should be additional adjustments for this.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on August 03, 2001 at 12:24 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks