What's new

Is this OK...To Do With a SW (1 Viewer)

Terry A

Auditioning
I am in the process of building my EC/HT Center. Before I make a mistake is it OK to place the sw(vtf-2)in the front of the entertainment center? It will be off the ground approx. 30 inches. Also it will be enclosed on 2 sides and back.

Don't ask why it can't go on the floor...there are a lot of issues re: that question. However last resort it may have to live there.

I have not purchased the SW yet. However the vtf-2 size is right. If in the wall sub would work that may be a possibility. (Will regular speaker wire work with a sw? The back wall is pre-wired, with a outlet .)

Thanks in Advance.

mylan

Screenwriter
In my experience, placing a sub in a cabinent is not a good idea because the enclosure will rattle,even if you use damping material like foam and will reduce the subs output.
Speaker wire will work but a line level connection to your receiver or processor using its built in crossover is always best.
An in-wall sub would be a good idea but consider cost and the fact that you can't move it for optimum placement when it is installed. I think I know where you are going with the can't put a sub on the floor, the old wife acceptance factor, I went with a mini sub that only takes up a sq. ft. of floorspace, Velodyne HGS 10. A Sunfire truesub would also work. You could hide it behind a sofa or even a plant.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Definantly a no no to put a sub in a cabinet unless the cabinet is built say around the subs. Case in point. Your sub is actually on the floor, you build your entertainment center about the sub 6-10" or so, so you sub still rests on the floor and touches nothing else. Then you use insulation on the sides and on top of it up to where your bottom of the cabinet starts. Make a door grill and that about the only way to hide one. Plus it has to be a sealed sub.. Make sure its not a ported sub as well. Its a big hassle and probably not worth it unless your doing a dedicated HT. There was just a show on doing this exact same thing on the DIY channel. The name of the show is Home Theater DIY or something like that and there are 4 1 hour shows that take you through building you own HT room and they did the hide the sub thing.... Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks