Is this not the BEST time in the history of gaming?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesH, Nov 22, 2002.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Three of the best games ever: Splinter Cell, Metroid, and Steel Battalion, all in one week.

These past few months have been absolutely ridiculous. I've gotten:

Steel Battalion
    Deathrow
    Splinter Cell
    Metroid Prime
    Animal Crossing
    Mario Sunshine
    Kingdom Hearts
    Megaman Zero
    Monkey Ball 2
    Burnout 2
    Contra: SS
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms 7
    Sly Cooper
    Hitman 2
    Wild Arms 3
    Suikoden 2
    Sega GT
    Shenmue 2
    GTA: Vice City
    Ratchet and Clank

Almost every one of those games has been absolutely incredible. The only ones that fell a bit short of my expectations were GTA:VC, Mario Sunshine, and Kingdom Hearts. Sega GT is the only one that I disliked enough to ebay.

The scary part is that there are still stragglers. I wouldn't mind having Starfox, Shinobi, Rygar, Resident Evil 0, and Castlevania/Metriod on the GBA. Oh yeah, and I haven't been able to get an ISP for Xbox live yet, so there's something else.

I ask, can anyone recall ANY time, NES through present day, where so much quality has been pumped out so fast?

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Geez...that's like $1100 in games. You need to start shopping at my place!
    If you ever finish all of them I will nominate you as super-gamer. [​IMG]

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

the quality will only increase.
    next year and the year after and so on and so on the quality will keep increasing, at some point someone said wow this is amazing Pong rocks
    on a side note your a romance of the three kingdoms fan? not many of those around, i know me and a friend bought a copy and the third copy EB got in is still on the shelf [​IMG]

4. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Yeah, I started with Dynasty Warriors 2, then I found out the story spanned a whole book so I read the whole 100+ chapter novel online. Then I moved on to DW3, and I happened to find ROTK6 at a pawn shop and loved it. I moved on up to ROTK7 and picked up Kessen 2 while I was at it. Just got Dynasty Tactics and played through it twice. I also have the 28 DVD box set.

I guess you could say I'm a ROTTK fan.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I think I paid about $750-800 for everything listed...it pays to be a smart shopper.

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

28 dvd box set? whats that?
    I actually havent read the book, but when i was younger my freinds and i somehow stumbled on romance of the thre kingdoms 2..... damn but did we ever play that alot [​IMG]

8. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Whew, I've bought a lot of games the past 2 weeks or so.
    The total value of my collection (taken from my users.ign.com page) jumped up about 450$ the past few weeks.
    Thankfully there's only a few games left this year I'm interested in. My wallet is thanking me. [​IMG]

9. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Best time ever?
    No.
    But pretty damn close! [​IMG]

10. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I think its far from it. I had more fun with video games back in the NES/SNES days that I have now. The games now just look prettier, but with the exception of GTA3 all the rest aren't just up to snuff. Alot of them are fun, but I'd say only 1 or 2 games a year grab my attention and keep me going back to play again and again. I just don't get the "wow" feeling with the majority of games these days. Maybe I'm getting old [​IMG]

11. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Whenever I start feeling like I've spent too much on my hobbies (DVD's, computers, and Video Games), I just go over to the HTF and it makes me feel better.
    $600, $700, and $800 makes my piddly $350-$400 seem like drops in the bucket.
    Thanks for being here for me, guys. [​IMG]

12. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

duplicate post

13. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

and more importantly: James, when do we all come over and camp out in your HT room? You got it all man...

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I've been enjoying most of the games I've bought this year, but that's because I've only been buying the games I know I'm going to like. To tell the truth, I'm on my way to making my current-gen collection match my last-gen collection. (I have almost 70 games from PSX/N64)