Is this normal with the yamaha RX-V1400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by benH, Oct 12, 2004.

1. benH

benH Auditioning

I just got this receiver a few days ago. I was wondering If this was normal.
    When I cycle through the sound field choices and select the DIRECT STEREO mode, The whole front panel display dims down. It only does this with the DIRECT STEREO mode, not the any of the other modes.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Yes, that is normal. Even the manual explains that the display will dim in that mode.

3. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

does anyone have a theory as to why it does that in that mode? I have never quite understood what the deal was?

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I don't know what the display reads or how long it may last when you are in this mode but it sounds simply like an added visual clue. Yamaha is known for providing "extras". [​IMG]

5. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

I don't know for sure, but I think that most people would use the direct stereo mode for critical listening. And most people, myself included, like to turn down the lights when really listening. It is nice to not have distractions like a really bright readout from the electronics. At least that is my best guess.
    Jeff

6. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

its used to try and get the most direct output from the amplifiers. That includes dsps or effects or displays that could somehow take away power from the amplifiers. They want to give you direct clean sound. By dimming the display you can still read what it says on the display but doesnt take away a lot of power.

7. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

Wow i see more people everyday on these forums from ohio. Jeff i live in mentor. Nice to see someone from lake county.

8. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Ben,

My Denon 3805 has the same feature. It is intended to limit the power consumption and interference that could possibly degrade the sound for critical listening. This includes shutting down of all video related components and focussing only on what is needed to produce sound. My face plate goes completely dark and will then only light up momentarily when I adjust the volume or such.

Regards, Al. Wise