Is this normal?? Reciever HOT!!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Clayton, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Clayton

Clayton Auditioning

Just got this H/K 635 and it seems to be running hot. I can't post a picture, but a thermometer on top reads 110. Everything within specs?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Clayton.

Yes your reciever is a power-converter and does tend to run hot. Make sure you have enough/extra clearance for the vent holes.
    Check your manual for suggested clearances and trust what they say.

For the summer months, I have a small AC "clamp fan" attached to the back of my rack and I just blow cool air over my reciever to help with ventilation.

3. Clayton

Clayton Auditioning

Thanks. The new system is going in a closet. I have replaced the wood shelves with expanded steel and am placing a ducted fan in the attic for circulation. Do you place any componets on top of your receiver? Any extra seperation?

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Yes. I put the reciever on the lowest possible rack because the heat coming from the top needs to see the open space to have some place to flow to.

Some people think putting the amp on the high shelf is a good thing to 'protect' the other devices - but usually there is a shelf on top that acts like a blanket. This 'protects' the other devices at the cost of a $1,000+ reciever.

My advice: if you run your speaker wires down - put the reciever on the lowest shelf. If your speaker wires are going up into the ceiling, put the reciever up top, but with lots of clearance.