What's new

Is this normal on the Sony WEGAs? (1 Viewer)

David JG

Auditioning
Hi

This is a medium size post, the relevant text is in bold. I like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read trough it. I am really desperate.

I have just upgraded to a KV32FQ70E (100Hz.) Trinitron WEGA from my 4 years Panasonic 28'' 50Hz. widescreen TV. This is going to be my first Sony WEGA.

I notice some things that are disturbing me and that I didn't notice in my old TV. I would like to know if these are defects (the delivery guys have dropped the box one time on one side) or if the TV will fix itself after the break in period.

1. It is too sharp! I can notice this specially when looking the info screens of my Samsung SAT receiver, the text is too sharp for my liking making it difficult to read. I can correct this turning down the sharpness control but I cannot go to a minimum because I can see blur (specially in faces).

2. "Smart" mode makes a terrible job. Nothing compared to the Panasonic "justify" mode that corrects the stretching problem looking 4:3 channels in 16:9 mode. The Sony crops too much the picture in the borders. The Panasonic didn't crop the image so much and did an awesome work.

3. There is a "bow" effect in the middle of the screen's geometrics. I can notice this very well looking channels that have a news ticker in the bottom (like CNBC or CNN for example).

4. There are very soft shadow areas on the screen (darker areas). I can see them specially when watching bright white backgrounds. They are vertical and I can see 2 of them. Strange thing is that they are symmetric, one on the left and one on the right part of the screen. I have seen something like this in my old Panasonic but they were worst and not symetric. This is one of the reasons why I changed that TV.

I have had this TV for 1 day and I am already thinking on changing it. When I bought the WEGA I thought that I was buying the state of the art in direct view CRTs. Are other sets better then? (Panasonic, Phillips, JVC, Thomson?). I don't want to change me to another model or mark if you tell me that it is going to fixed after the break in period.

Thank you very much.

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David,
NO -- that is not normal. Even though I don`t know a thing about PAL , I do know that dropping it could have dislodged one of the magnets or knocked something else out of wack. If you are able , I`d try another , and explain that the one you have is "defective put of the box". Best of luck !
Gary

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

A couple or three items. Too sharp usually means that the SVM circuitry is active. Turn this off.

Bowing of the image is usually an inherent weakness of flat tube designs. Most have it to one degree or another and bowing is much worse than on an older non-flat tube face.

No CRT set has uniform brightness across its surface ... certainly not flat tube designs.

By all means, try to get it exchanges, but these three items are unlikely to change though.

Regards

David JG

Auditioning
I will exchange it. Should I go for the Panasonic 32''? I have been looking a Sony 32'' model that a friend has 4 years ago, and it has the same "feature" called "smart" by Sony. I definitely prefer the way that Panasonic corrects the stretching effect (comparing it with my old 28'' model). I have heard good things about Samsung and the Tantus series, what do you think of them? For the money that I have it is very difficult to find in my town bigger TV sets (36'' for example), I have been thinking and it is maybe better to get a good 32'' set than an "entry model" 36'' one that maybe is not going to give me the same quality or features.

Thanks a lot for your posts guys.

David JG

Auditioning
Hi m8s, I have got this set: Panasonic TX-36PL35F. It has 36''. I have noticed also small shadows but nothing disturbing, they are weakand after what Michael TLV has told I am more calm about these shadows.

Thanks a lot guys, I have already calibrated the set and it looks very nice, much better than the Sony one.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You should also be reassured of the fact that Panasonic has a very good reliability track record. Have fun! :)

PS. I love Panasonic direct-view sets. They are extremely dependable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks