What's new

Is this normal for a Harman Kardon receiver? (1 Viewer)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I bought a refurbished HK AVR-325 from one call about two months ago and I'm absolutely thrilled with the sound quality. I have two questions:

1.) I'm using it as a pre/pro but it still gets very hot even though I'm not using the internal amplifiers. The Yamaha receiver I replaced didn't heat up the slightest bit when I was using it as a pre/pro and even when I was using the internal amplifiers it didn't get this hot.

2.) When I go into the OSD, I try to turn off the semi osd, and it turns off. However, when I turn off then on again receiver, it defaults back to the on position.

Is this typical behavior?

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have the old AVR300 and yes both of these phenomena occur. I'm curious as to why these units get hot when they're used as pre/pro because this is what I'm doing in my setup also.

I also wish there was a way to keep the OSD off, but I do not know if this is possible.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Frank:

I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest about the heat. Yesterday, I auditioned a Marantz 7300 and the thing was too hot to touch, even on the face plate! Must be why everything is handled through the remote control. But you have to remember it is putting out 105 wpc x 6, therefore it generates a lot of heat. The more the power, the more heat will have to be dissipated.

I don't know what your previous Yamaha receiver was, but Yammies are notorious for having badly undersized power supplies (S&V tested their 730 receiver last year and although rated at 75 wpc x 6, when all channels were driven, it could only manage 37 wpc x 6). When you have an undersized PS, it just doesn't generate any heat to speak of (nor power for the output stage!). Therefore, it is not a reliable benchmark.

Harman/Kardon's on the other hand, have very good power supplies because they are one of the few true high current receivers available. So the heat is normal.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
My Integra DTR 7 also gets quite hot when using just as a pre-pro. Alot still going on in there pumping all that stuff out to the external amps I guess!

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies Mat, Mark, and Wil.

Mark,
I was mainly concerned since I'm using external amplification. In my small room, it actually heats up the room a good bit.

That OSD thing just bugs the crap out of me, I think I might just forego video switching to solve that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks