What's new

Is this kid full of it? (1 Viewer)

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
I work with this kid that I used to go to school with (he was a year younger than me). I overheard him telling our supervisor the other day that there is a website that you can download new movies that haven't even been released into theaters yet. I don't know if this is true or not, but this kid is famous around town (small town;) ) for being a pathological liar, that's why I'm skeptical. He is always making up stories about one thing or another. So is it true, or is he full of shit? It just doesn't seem like it's true, but I don't know.
Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's quite possible, people sneak video cameras into press screenings and such, or make a copy of a workprint. I saw a guy selling a workprint of The Mask before it came out.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
While it does happen (theres already a dvdrip of FOTR) the last place to go would be the web. It sounds like your friend is confusing Link Removed with fact.
Link Removed while very unrealistic, pretty much matches up with what you've described. :)

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Yes, he is telling the truth. You can get new movies online, I have a buddy that gets to see new movies he dl on line before I even got the chance to see them at the theaters. They can take awhile to encode but yes even though your buddy might be a pathological liar, he's probably telling you the truth about this one.

Peace out

Eve

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Nigel's right. Especially at this period in the year, there are so many academy screener DVDs floating around. Films like "In The Bedroom", "I Am Sam", "Jason X", "Snow Dogs", etc. have been available around the net for a while already.

Kami

Screenwriter
Yeah it's totally possible. Some people get screeners beforehand and then just distribute on the internet, also some theater projectionists set up cameras in the projection room, and hook up the audio directly to the source.

There is probably a half-dozen different versions of Lord of the Rings floating around the net...most of them are ready-to-burn in VCD format (3CDs).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yes...but in general they aren't released before the films are released at theaters. I had a copy of American Pie 1 a couple of months before release...but it was a Workprint, when the title was still East Great Falls. Most of the time, bootlegs...or screeners in this case come out a week or two after the theatrical release of a film. Also, in general you can't usually download them off of "websites", but usually off of peoples personal ftps, or newsgroups...because websites that illegally host bootlegs are pulled down pretty quick.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about the web but here you find people selling movies on the street days before their release dates. DVDs are also becoming more and more common.

--

Holadem

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
.... which, in the end, doesn't mean much since who in his or her right mind would want to see LotR for the first time in an utterly ridiculous videocam rip put on VCD?

But I guess amazingly enough there are some who find that amusing. Weird people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks