Is this Kenwood HT System any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brenton, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I am looking for an adequate home theater audio system (reciever and speakers), but I am on a serious budget. I found this on BestBuy.com, it's a Kenwood 600-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater Audio System with Pro Logic II Decoding.
    I know that at less than $300, it's not gonna be too spectacular, but my question is would it be adequate for someone who's just getting into the HT game and has never had anything better than TV speakers in his life? Or is it just offensively awful? (If it makes a difference, I'm a sixteen-year-old who's making money mowing lawns, thankfully my grandmother way overpays)
    If it is "offensively awful", can you recommend anything better that's still in the "$300 or less" price range? Any help will be appreciated.

2. TimG

TimG Second Unit

I know earlier Kenwood "Home Theater In a Box" systems got pretty good reviews for what they are. I don't know how much they have changed though. I think this would be a great starter system for someone, then later it could be moved into the bedroom. You might want to say what your budget is, then let people offer opinions.

TimG

3. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I did say what my budget is. About $300 or less.

As for being a great starter system, that's exactly what I had in mind. I envision replacing it piece-by-piece as I get money.

4. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

this may be of some help. i was in the market for a home theater in a box for my video game systems. i listened to quite a few of them and i wound up purchasing the kenwood htb-505. for me, the deciding factor was that the speakers did not offend my ears. most of the other systems i listened to, the speakers sounded like a clock radio. now, do these compare to my martin logans, not even close, but they serve my purpose. i would suggest listening to them in the store. the htb-205 that you are looking at uses smaller front speakers than the htb-505.

5. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Did you listen to the HTB-205 specifically? If so, would you consider it "bad"?

I would really like to consider the 505, but my budget is very, very tight. And so unless the 205 sounds "like a clock radio", I probably won't be looking at the 505. (That is, unless I can borrow about $174 from my dad.)

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If I was you I would get the Kenwood & try it out for yourself at home. Nothing you listen to in the store is ever going to sound like it does once it's installed in the home & if you don't like it return it to Best Buy before their 30 day return policy runs out. Myself I think the Kenwoods for the money are the best HTB systems out there. The Kenwood receiver in the HTB is a half way decent receiver & you can always upgrade the speakers when you get the money. My only other suggestion would be to buy the Panasonic Receiver SA-HE100 (comes in black or silver) that will decode "ALL" the new formats & has Dolby Pro-Logic II that is fully adjustable. The SA-HE100 has 6 built in amps with the 6th for the rear center speaker in Dolby Digital EX & DTS-ES. This receiver has been getting great reviews & can be had delivered on the internet for $250, but then you would have to save up for speakers or just get the 2 main front speakers & then add the surrounds later. If you can't wait or save up to get the speakers, I would say give the Kenwood a shot, but remember the receiver you buy today you will probably have for some time to come so I would consider the Panasonic.

7. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

I would save up the money and buy the HTB-505,this store has the HTB505 for $379.97 plus shipping.

8. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

i did not listen to the htb-205- it was not set up in the store. the front speakers (visually) do not look like they are the same quality as in the htb-505.

9. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I've decided to get the 505 if I can manage to get ahold of the extra money. If not, I'll get the 205. I can always upgrade the speakers later.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.