Is this ironic?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Feb 12, 2005.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

2. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

It might be ironic if they forget to put postage on the package, otherwise no.

Brad

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

in case one of the HTF resident philatelists stumbles by this thread....
    Why is a Reagan stamp now available? There must be a presidential exception to the "dead 10 years" rule, but I had not been aware of it.
    Just to try and make my question crystal clear, I'm not commenting on Ronald Reagan's stamp worthiness, I'm asking about exceptions to putting someone on a stamp before they've been dead 10 years.

Oh...Brad is correct Mark, that's not irony.

4. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Obligatory irony post:

The words ironic, irony, and ironically are sometimes used of events and circumstances that might better be described as simply coincidental or improbable, in that they suggest no particular lessons about human vanity or folly. Thus 78 percent of the Usage Panel rejects the use of ironically in the sentence In 1969 Susie moved from Ithaca to California where she met her husband-to-be, who, ironically, also came from upstate New York. Some Panelists noted that this particular usage might be acceptable if Susie had in fact moved to California in order to find a husband, in which case the story could be taken as exemplifying the folly of supposing that we can know what fate has in store for us. By contrast, 73 percent accepted the sentence Ironically, even as the government was fulminating against American policy, American jeans and videocassettes were the hottest items in the stalls of the market, where the incongruity can be seen as an example of human inconsistency.

From The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

5. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

As an ex-president, Reagan became eligible for a commemorative stamp in the year following his death. Postal Service policy restricts stamps honoring people other than presidents to those who have been dead at least 10 years.
    CNN Article

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    1) Irony? No.

2) Exception to ten year rule for presidents? Yes.

Source: USPS Web Site

Regards,

Joe

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And you're socked with the Postage Due upon the delivery of package.

8. MarkHastings

Ok, then is it ironic to pay postage on the delivery of stamps?

9. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

No. Why would you be exempt from paying postage on something *you* ordered?

10. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

It would be ironic if like you ordered stamps and the price of postage went up before you got them and then... no wait that would just be plain realistic.

11. MarkHastings

I wasn't saying I'd expect not to pay (or even that it would bother me). I just find it funny that you'd pay postage to have potage delivered. [​IMG]

If that's not ironic, then what is it?

12. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Working for the post office and delivering your own mail.

13. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

If UPS delivered the stamps, that would be ironic.

14. BrettB

BrettB Producer

If someone posts it in the AHL, then no, it is not ironic, ever.

15. MarkHastings

I just spoke with my dad about this (he works for USPS) and he said they might not even charge you for delivery. [​IMG]

16. andrew markworthy

At the risk of someone being serious on this thread, I think I can answer the original question.

Basically, if you collect stamps seriously, then you generally have fairly complex orders for stamps that a local post office won't be able to handle.

E.g. I have a regular order with the Royal Mail philatelic bureau (the equivalent of the US Postal Store) for:

(1) every new commemorative issue (my local post office doesn't get all of these)
    (2) miniature sheets (not a chance of getting these locally)
    (3) new definitive stamps (no problem - any post office will get these)
    (4) changes in printers of definitive stamps ('what?' is the response I'd get at my local post office)
    (5) regional definitives for England and Wales (no problem with the Welsh ones as I live in Wales, but the English ones can't be bought in Wales)

And that in philatelic terms is a very vanilla set of requests. The real hard cases might want such things as four stamps in a block from the corner of a sheet; stamps with the side margin showing the serial number; stamps when there is a change in gum [I'm not making that up, though I wish I was]; first day covers with the official envelopes; ingot stamps; etc, etc, etc.

In short, the only way in which a philatelist can guarantee getting their stamps is by ordering by mail order. Yes, I know this sounds perverse to non-collectors, but that's often the way it is.

17. MarkHastings

I don't see it as perverse, I just found it amusing.

Kind of like a DVD that shows you how to hook up your DVD player. Or when they run ads on cable tv, telling you to subscribe for Cable TV. [​IMG]

18. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

You read the whole blurb you posted, didn't you? [​IMG]

Commemorative stamps or postal stationery items honoring individuals usually will be issued on or in conjunction with significant anniversaries of their birth, but no postal item will be issued sooner than ten years after the individual's death. The only exception to the ten-year rule is the issuance of stamps honoring deceased U.S. presidents. They may be honored with a memorial stamp on the first birth anniversary following death.

Ronald Reagans birthday = 02-06
    Reagan Stamp issued = 02-09

19. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

To be honest, these are the only things I find perverse in this thread. To think you Brits have an actual bureau for that (shudder). [​IMG]

20. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

02-06-2005 = Sunday
    02-09-2005 = Wednesday

A new stamp clearly would not be issued on a day when Postal and other Government offices are closed. In this case the official issue date also had to be coordinated with the Reagan Presidential Library, which hosted the event. They probably wanted to separate the birthday anniversary and the statmp ceremony.

As a practical matter this exception to the "ten year rule" has always been read as "in the year of the first birth anniversary following the death", not "on the exact day". What if a President dies on the day before his birthday? It would hardly be possible to issue a stamp the following day. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe