Is this hook-up possible??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Evan M., Jan 18, 2005.

1. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I am going to be getting an Infocus 4805 front projector. I will be using it strictly for movies. I have an older Panasonic DVD player. It is not even progressive scan. It does have component, S-Video an Composite video outs. I am going to have the projector hooked up via component of course. There still will be times when I will want to watch DVD's on my normal 27" panasonic tube TV. (daytime....not a lot of light control). Can I have my DVD player hooked up to BOTH the TV AND projector at the same time via different connections. T.V. would be hooked up through the S-Video. Or do I have to plug and unplug everytime I want to watch a movie on the different piece? Anybody else do this and if so what do you do? Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

It all depends on your DVD player. Actually, you can hook it up the way you stated and you won't ever have to move the wiring around again but what I can't tell you is if all outputs at active on the DVD player at the same time. So instead of switching wiring each time, you might have to go into the DVD setup menu and tell it to use the other output. Does that make sense???

3. MikeHerbst

MikeHerbst Stunt Coordinator

Yes, you should be able to do this, but as stated, you might have to make a change either on a menu or with a switch to toggle between the outputs.

I do almost the same thing (Component to PJ and S-Vid to TV) with my older Pioneer DV-333.

There's a switch on the back for "Component" or "Everything Else" that I have to reach back and flick.

I also have to go into the menu and change the aspect ratio since my projector is widescreen.

Sometime soon I'll probably upgrade to a new DVD player and I'm strongly considering leaving the old one in the rack for the Tube-TV just to avoid the setup changes (mostly due to the Wife).

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Very cool....thanks guys for the help. I'll take a closer look at my DVD player to see if it possible.

"(mostly due to the Wife)."

LOL!! I know what you mean.....to be honest that is the ONLY reason I asked this question. My wifes exact words were.... "I can care less how big the picture is so I don't wan't to spend an hour setting up this projector to watch movies every time" .........some people just don't understand [​IMG].......