Is this good for DIY Component cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jason*H, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Jason*H

Jason*H Agent

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Yes, but...
    1000 feet is a hell of a lot of cable. Got plans for the rest?
    The center conductor is solid making it fairly inflexible.
    The inflexibility is compounded by the fact that it's an RG6/U. What this means is that if you're looking to make nice, tight bends, the cable will resist this. This sort of cable is suitable for in-wall pulls.

As an alternative thought, consider cable that's RG59 with a stranded copper center conductor. You'll still have oodles of bandwidth for connecting your DVD player to whatever and it'll be easier to work with.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have plenty of RG-6 that is very flexible from Canare and Belden. I have three 30 foot runs of Canare RG-6 component cable (which is even significantly less flexible than single runs of RG-6) running from the projector over my head down a column behind me to just below the floor in the basement ceiling. over another 17-18 ft. and then up a couple of feet to a junction box on the other side of the wall. It may not be as flexible on RG-59 (I have several long runs of that too in the walls), but the solid center conductor generally leaves less room from problems on soldering or crimping than stranded mat'ls so it depends on how much flexibility you really need. I agree 1000 ft. is lots of cable. I don't think you'll see much in the way, if any, of differences between RG-6 and RG-59 to connect a DVD player. You need to choose a cable and a connector that will work well together.

4. Jason*H

Jason*H Agent

can you guys suggest a place to buy High bandwidth cable in bulk thats more flexable... Im also having trouble finding connectors for component and s-video. I need at least 500 ft
    I have at least 5 40 foot runs and i want some left over !

Thanks
    Jason

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Is that 500 ft. of component cable (or in essence 1500 ft. of wire) or 500 ft. of video cable needed in total? A warning that S connectors are a royal pain. If you are going to go 40 ft. with S, that is probably pushing it a bit. Products like: http://www.milestek.com/shop/product.asp?id=10 01120&cid=&kwd=&l=&p=

allow runs of 2 regular video cables and then an S adapter. The tiny wires in S are the reason the signal can get degraded over long runs.

Milestek, along with others such as markertek.com, haveinc.com, etc., and also make custom cables in addition to selling wire. There's also places like newark.com, mouser.com, alliedelec.com, etc. that are distributors of raw mat's. The Canare stuff that Markertek and Have Inc. sell have RCAs that will proper tools (which they also sell) get crimped on neatly. Canare.com as well as markertek.com have charts on their website to tell what other cables (mostly Belden from memory) their crimp connectors fit. Parts express also sells connectors as do many other places.