Is this Good for a Newbie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_Sch, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

I was leaning towards the Kenwood HTB 504 but decided maybe I'd be better off with something like this after doing some searching here:
    Fluance AV-HTB 5 Speaker system
    http://store.yahoo.com/fluance/fluanceavhtb.html
    DLS 10" Powered Sub
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15942&DID=7
    Kenwood VR507 Receiver
    http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=kenvr507
    That puts me just about in my price range (a little over after all the shipping). I have heard pretty much all positives for the Fluance set and the DLS sub, although lesser known/used. Does anybody know a cheaper place for the receiver? Let me know what you think of that!
    Thanks

2. WilliamM

WilliamM Stunt Coordinator

Be careful, once you start the HT bug you'll be upgrading forever[​IMG] It appears that you have definitely been doing some research. I had to follow a budget--still do! So there are many times compromise are necessary. Don't worry about it. Get the equipment and start enjoying. One other peice of advise is be careful of some online firms so you do not purchase any gray market electronics. look at the retailer feedback in this forum. Have fun!!

3. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your response WilliamM! I hope a setup like this would last me for a while though and don't need to upgrade for a while! I know its not the most expensive and best equipment around but it would fit my needs.

Any other feedback anybody?

Thanks

4. Eric S M

Eric S M Agent

Brent,

I haven't heard the Fluance speakers. Have you had the chance to demo them? If you've heard them in person and liked them, then that is the real measure.

If you haven't demo'd them in person, then my advice would be to listen to them, preferably with the Amp/Tuner that you are chosing. Speakers can sound differently with different amplifiers.

Bear in mind that speakers generally last a long time and are somewhat of an investment.

From my own experience, I purchased a set of Infinity Sterling Series speakers about 7 years ago for ~$1200. At the time I also got an Onkyo TX-SV525 Prologic Amp. Since, then I've upgraded the Amp to a Yamaha DSP-A1, but I still have the speakers. Although their not the best (and weren't even in their day), I like the way they sound and they still sound good with the Yamaha.

Bottom line is to listen to the speakers and maybe even go to a Good Guys or Circuit City to demo speakers that are in the same price range or maybe a bit more expensive. I always check a price point above and below my budget to see what I might be missing or if I can save some money.

Best of luck with your search.

-Eric

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I think your selections to this point are solid! Better than the HTB choice to start certainly
    The DLS sub can be had on ebay for more than and what
    www.partsexpress.com sells it for, 99.00! Though I havent herd this sub, it uses quailty componets from a well known driver manufacturer and is priced right. The Fluance have had number or reviews here, and for the dollar, apear to hold thier own nicely. Looks like solid choices to this point.
    The others do make good points with advice that you should look into, it will certainly not hurt.
    I have heard the Fluance package on a Yammi low end reciever wth a sealed shiv sub and quite frankly was shocked. So I think your on the right track! For an entry system, this will be quite a performer for the dollar. I think you will be pleased
    Good luck and lets us know the final out come had how you like it!!!
    Regards
    Geoff

6. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Brent,

You may want to re-think your receiver choice. Correct

me if I'm wrong, but a don't think the VR-507 has low

level outputs for each channel. This may handicap your

future up-grades.

JRS