What's new

Is this for real??? (1 Viewer)

JasonB

Agent
I came home from running errands today and my wife excitedly told me that she got a phone call from the group that runs the Nielsen's ratings. I immediately thought it was a scam and panicked thinking that she possibly gave out sensitive information but she assured me she didn't.

She further explained that the representative said we met their criteria (after asking a ton of questions about what our favorite shows were, did we own a PVR device, etc.) to be on their panel for this year to review shows etc. He said that periodically we'd get DVD's of shows etc to review.

Is this for real or did she fall for some marketing thing to get our mail address on a list??

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Scam, Neilsen doesn't send DVDs, they just install a box. It MAY be a market research company tho

JasonB

Agent
I was afraid of that but after further conversation recently she said the company was a market research company that would send us spring/fall preview shows. The company was ASI----ring a bell???

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
For most of the country, Nielsen doesn't install a box. They expect Nielsen families to write down the shows they watch in diary books that they mail out. The method is extremely prone to error: one could write in the diary that on Thursday at 10pm EST he/she watched "E.R." along with the local CBS channel number and call letters, and the local CBS station would get ratings points for it, even though "E.R." is on NBC. Nielsen doesn't pay any attention to the name of the show the Nielsen family writes in the diary as long as the channel number and name coincide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks