Is this feasible? (Costco return policy)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Strasz, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Chris Strasz

Chris Strasz Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I am curious how liberal Costco's return policy is. Do they refund any item bought no questions asked, for however long the consumer waits to return things?

This is what someone told me, and this seems well kinda crazy. If this is the case (which would be awesome) the solution to my problem might have been found. I was going to get the pioneer non elite but was afraid to get it for lack of DVI. If costco's return policy is as lax as it's described to be, wouldn't I just theoretically be able to return it with the reasoning that I can not watch all HDTV signals due to DVI becoming a standard?

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

3. Chris Strasz

Hi Jed,
    I'm totally with you in the disbelief as well [​IMG] I'm just going based on the comments that users have made on other forums (I think the avs forum). I've read posts ranging anywhere from people that basically try out the tv's without any worries whatsoever(and return them if they're not satisfied a month later with no hassles) to users who've gotten money back, by citing a decrease in the price of their item 2 months after they purchased it from costco. That sounds crazy. If that is the case, I mean that's damn cool - but hell i'd like to see it in writing someplace before I rely on it.
    All I did was a search for Costco and return. It brought up mixed threads but there were quite a few posts where people were like "well don't worry if you buy it from costco, they're extremely liberal in their returns."

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i recently returned a direct view television that died after having it for a year, i bought it for my sons birthday last year, returned it within days of his birthday this year. Costco took it back without any questions, not even a receipt.

5. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Chris, I heard the exact same thing. I too didn't really believe it, but I've seen them take back TVs that were over a year old, no box/receipt, without questions.

My friend said that they often don't publicize their return policy, but that yes, you can take back anything you bought there, regardless of the age of the item.

6. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Wouldn't it suck though,if you bought that set and sometime later they change their "Return Policy" ? [​IMG]

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>> On merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell by offering a full refund...
    If four months passed before you tried to return merchandise that was not defective, wouldn't you have a hard time explaining you were not satisfied?
    >>> On membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied...
    If you return too many items for reasons they think are not valid, could they not refund your membership assuming you were dissatisfied with that on the grounds of "poor quality merchandise", and then you can no longer shop there?
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I think what Chris is suggesting is the type of "abuse" that causes companies to change their return policies and hurts those customers who have legit reasons for returning an item. Even if it techically falls within their policy, I'm sure that's not the intent and would at least be unethical.

Hey you asked for opinions...as another costco member, I hope you don't abuse the system.

Ron

9. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

A Costco employee once related a story to me of a customer who returned his DVD player after 2 years. They honored the return, no hassle. I think the product was still operating, too.

As a Costco member (as well as a member of the human race), I echo Ron's sentiments associated with the ethics of abusing such a policy. For example, returning a TV in the future because it doesn't support DVI is definitely pushing the ethical envelope, IMO, esp if one already knows the TV's limitation and potential future HDTV environment.

Doug

10. Chris Strasz

I am not a costco member. However, to just add onto my post - while yes I used that as an example, it seems that there are a very large number of users on other forums, who have used this return policy in the way I described not so much to abuse the system, but simply because I've seen some state that costco members basically tell them to not worry if they're not happy, return it whenever with no questions asked, no period of expiration on this policy.

As someone who was considering purchasing a TV, I'd like to say that I'm not talking about users who try out televisions and return them 3 years later since it's "old." (I've seen people post about this as well)

As far as I'm concerned, if one buys a non DVI television and for some reason this became such a standard that you could not enjoy HD television since there is a lack of this input, it would be reason enough to return the television if Costco outright states you can return it anytime no questions asked, no explanation needed - and this is a particular instance that i think is reason enough - you have a 200 lb paperweight. This does not come across to me as an "abuse" of the system when Costco honors their return policy in this way, however, this is my opinion and I understand if people disagree.

With that said, I still won't be buying from Costco because I think it's a pretty FUBAR'd policy on their part and one that needs more definition on paper. Just my 2 cents.

11. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Chris:

Though I don't totally disagree with you for a technical standpoint....the ethical issue is the fact that you are aware of potential problem and if you buy the set anyway, you are accepting the potential liability.

All of us have done this that own an HD set. Does it mean that I won't ask the manufacturer to stand by their product? Of course I will. But, I can't ask the retailer to "make good" on a change in technology.

Just My 2 cents
    Ron

12. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

Ron - Good call. If the set has been purchased from an independent Ma 'n Pa owned business, to demand such costly remedy is not only unreasonable and malevolent, but a major cause of the specialty store's extinction. Many such stores cultivate personal relationships with their clients and strive to provide value beyond the cost of the gear. Providing such care and diligence is expensive and burdensome but is supposed to create loyalty, mutually beneficial trade and the satisfaction of professional excellence.
    Costco however, does not provide such service. They don't pretend to (as many of the chain store do..). There are few perks or strokes other than price and these days low pricing is commonplace. So they offer the one benefit almost no one else will or can, unconditional satisfaction. To get product into Costco, mfg's must agree to accept any returns - PERIOD. Not only does that serve to set quality standards, but keeps my biz even if I can get an item a little cheaper elsewhere. I have returned computers, cameras, shoes, god awful hash browns and even stuff I broke by being a nimrod. The result of this policy is our increased spending, shopping loyalty and constant recommendation to others. That has fueled a 400 warehouse network grossing over 4 billion last year, and the strongest performing, fastest growing retail trade corp. in the world.
    We switched our insurance policies on our vehicles and homes to Costco Business Services a few month ago after 18 years with our agent. On vehicles alone we are saving 3600.00 bucks a year! Am I happy? F***in' A.
    Plus I got a jar of martini olives as big as your head for 5 bucks at the same time. A Gold star rating from us!