Is this evil? (Holiday DVD gift scheme)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will K, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

The adults in my family get together every Xmas and play this gift-swapping game. It's silly but I'm not high enough in the family hierchary to change it...yet. Each member buys a mystery gift and wraps it up. We all pick numbers and choose gifts in order. For instance, if I unwrap a nice new toaster oven or a chainsaw, the next person can either choose to unwrap a new gift or take anything previously unwrapped.
    Since I always end up with something lame anyway, I thought I would buy a DVD I've been wanting and use that as a gift. My relatives are J6P people and I would be shocked if any of them had DVD players to begin. My chances of retaining the DVD is about 120%, especially if it's a horror film.
    I'll probably do it anyway, but I was curious what others thought. Evil or just plain sneaky?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Looking back on previous seasons, do you find yourself suspecting that others are using a similar strategy (i.e., contributing something they want but others probably won't)?
    You're probably just catching up with the rest of the family. [​IMG]
    M.

3. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I'd say go for it. And if something happens and someone else grabs your horror DVD, at least you'll know who else has good taste in the family.

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I had to play this 'game' last weekend at a dinner with my girlfriend's collegues. As far as I can see, its only worth playing if you really hate the other contestants with a vengeance I can only dream of; the whole idea seems to be to ensure that you end up with the good stuff and everyone else hates what they are left with. The only way to win is to buy a cheap piece of complete junk so at the worst you won't lose too much.

err, no I didn't enjoy it...

Alternatively, you can follow the game to its logical conclusion and just find out what someone would really love to get as a christmas present, unwrap it and then smash it to pieces in front of their face. That ought to sum it up nicely.

(bitter, bitter, bitter me)

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Really starting to feel that Christmas spirit, Iain? [​IMG]

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

7. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Every year my department at work has this type of exchange with a $25 limit at our holiday outing.

Last year a colleague, Holly, brought a gift box of microwave popcorn in which she had hidden a $25 Best Buy gift card. The person who opened this gift was disappointed, not realizing there was a hidden gift card. After Holly ended up getting a hideous candle holder followed by someone else taking it from her, she "stole" back her own popcorn. Since nobody else wanted the popcorn Holly was able to walk out with it and her $25 gift card. There were many surprised people after it was over who wished they had ended up with the popcorn as it turned out to be one of the best gifts of the exchange.

I should add that I walked out with a Mr. Potato Head, probably the most whimsical (and easily the most often "stolen") gift of the exchange. He now resides on the top of my television and is visible on my home theater page.