is this DVD suitable as an Avia replacement?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyT, Jan 10, 2003.

1. AndyT

AndyT Auditioning

Today is the day I take my mom and stepfather out to look at new hdtv's. If they make a decision and buy one today I want to get them set up with a DVD player and calibration DVD as well so I can set everything up properly.

I've checked websites, called all over town, and I can't find the Avia dvd anywhere, although one place said he was thinking, just this morning, about getting some in. (lot of good that does me)

I finally found, at the website for the place I am taking them, a "Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up" DVD, from the makers of the Avia dvd. I'm assuming it's a good alternative, since the same people made it, and it's even newer (2002 as opposed to 1999 for Avia) but I just wanted to ask and see if anyone had any comments on it.

Thanks in advance guys, this forum has helped me a lot in narrowing down the choices for tv's.

2. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I got Avia from Amazon for $37.00 a couple months ago.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

The "Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up" DVD is a stripped down version of the Avia disc. It has the basic setup features you want, including a blue filter (no red or green), but lacks some of the more esoteric test patterns. It also features a couple of the most obnoxious "hosts" you'd never want to encounter.

It'll get the job done.

Jan