What's new

Is this doable? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I have found that now I have my my 7.1 system wired (took over 200' of speakers wire) that the back seems more separate from the front. I was wondering if it would be possible to make a left and right front surround? something between the mains in the front and the surrounds right beside me. could I just wire the left main with the left surround (right to right) and create a descent midway speaker or would it be better to do prologic proccessing between the two and with a simple prologic reciever? If this idea is just plain stupid or could never work someone please chime in. ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In a 7.1 setup, your side surround speakers are supposed to be beside your listening position. That's the whole idea behind 7.1. Sounds like speaker placement and/or calibration may be your problem, and I don't think additional speakers are going to fix that.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Well, you HAVE calibrated your system from your main listening position right?

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I am not sure if you quite understand. first of all, I am calibrated properly, and I have adjusted the speaker placement/direction a bit. Similarly to the idea that you can process the surround channels with a prologic reciever to produce the rear channel, I want to process between the surround and the main channels to create a midway speaker between the mains in the front and the surrounds directly beside me. I would not be doing this anytime soon because I don't have a separates system and won't be able to afford one for a while. I am just wondering on most 5.1 surround tracks do the mains and surrounds recieve somewhat the same sounds the same as the surround left and rights. If there would only be rare occasions where a speaker playing a prologiced signal between the mains and surrounds would actually play something then it's not really worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks