Is this correct ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Cal, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

Ok first of all I am in the market for a larger TV. I was looking at RPTV and started to read this form. I will say I watch TV a fair amount. Am I correct in what I have read that in the RPTV that if I wanted something to give me the 16:9 aspect ratio that I will risk burn in for the 4:3 mode unless I want to greatly distort the picture , by stretching it out of shape. This can't be. Must be some way around it.

Bob

2. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

The truth is, there are many, many things that "risk" uneven phosphor wear on any CRT display. Rear Projection sets are more at risk thn direct-view sets. The choice of 16 X 9 versus 4 X 3 actually makes no difference in the risk, although what you watch on them can either minimize this risk, or can increase the risk.

ANY static image poses a risk. This is equally true on 16 X 9 and also on 4 X 3.

That risk can be greatly minimized by turning down the contrast. It can be reduced slightly more by turning down the brightness. This also results in a better image (although it will not be torch bright, which can actually cause headaches, and cause viewers to not ebe able to see the great detail some of these sets can provide). In MOST cases, if you simply turn that contrast down below he 50% mark, perhaps to 30% to 40%, users will be fine. In most cases, that is all that is necessary.

The problems develop when users watch a signal that lets any static image appear on the screen for very long periods of time, and do this repeatedly. Users who do not "vary the image." This can mean users who always watch a station with a static logo which appears constantly (or almost constantly). This can mean users who always watch a 4 X 3 image with masking bars on a 4 X 3 set. Nothing else. Or, users who always watch DVDS with 2:35:1 aspect ratio and black masking bars on a 4 X 3 set. Nothing else. Or, users who watch 2:35:1 DVDs on a 16 X 9 set, with black masking bars. Or, users who leave their X-Box hooked up and turned on all night with a static background, even while the character in their favorite game is moving. Or, users who hook up Web TV, and leave the Alta Vista search engine on all day while they are at work. Or users who leave their set tuned into the Home Shopping Network all day, every day, for FiFi the poodle, (since FiFi loves it so much!), with the horizontal band running across the bottom of the screen, and do this while they go off and work their 9 to 5 jobs.

The truth is, that you should be aware of the fact that the set is at risk, take the reasonable precautions, turn down the contrast, and simply try to "vary" your viewing.

Do NOT let this risk ruin your enjoyment of the set. There are users who have owned RPTVs for 8, 10, 11, and 12 years and who have suffered NO burn in. There are those who were ignorant of the risk, and who innocently left a static image on, repeatedly, who had it in as short a time as a few months. This latter group is in the minority. It does happen. It is real. It is expensive to fix. It is not covered by any warranty anyone has yet heard of. It IS relatively easy to avoid, though.

1.) Turn down the contrast.
    2.) Try to vary the image (without being compulsive or obssessive about it).

Do these two things, and you will probably be fine.

Now, to your question about stretch modes... I use mine for 4 X 3 stuff on my 16 X 9 set. I know of others who never do, and watch with masking bars. This is personal preference. Some sets have GREAT stretch modes. Some have lousy ones. Mine is not the very best (perhaps "second-best," according to many). On my set, I am the only one in my family of four that is even aware that they are watching strecthed image.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Bruce pretty much covered it. The better variable stretch modes are very watchable--Pioneer, Toshiba, Sony all do it quite nicely.

4. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Bruce. That answered a number of concerns.I will just have to do the research now and figure out which features I need and the set that fits the bill.

Bob

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Jack Briggs suggests using the stretch mode for things about which you may not care, such as news. And view movies and serious (is this a misnomer) TV in OAR.