Is this bad for my games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Keith_R, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Sorry, I don't really know where this belongs but I feel that it is very closely related to games. Today my friend came over and we popped one of his PS2 games into my PS2, when we were done I walked over to my PS2 and pressed the blue eject button *without* first turning off the console with the green button. My friend had a hissy fit saying that doing it my way would scratch the game and he insisted that you *had* to *first* hit the green button and than hit the blue button. I insisted to him that this was complete crap and that by that theory all of my DVDs and X-Box games (since they all pretty much operate with the same setup as the PS2) would have been scratched by now. I don't really think what he said was true but he insists that it is in the instruction manual, is there any validity to his statement? thanks.

2. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

There is nothing that would scratch the disc; the laser never touches it.

3. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I reset/stop everything first, too, but I blame my condition on the disclaimer in "The Legend of Zelda" for the NES. I don't know what can possibly scratch the disc, the laser isn't going to cause any harm.

I have no proof or theories to explain why, but it just seems easier on the machine to reset it first before shutting it off in the middle of operating. On the other hand, it's impossible to "reset" and XBox before ejecting a game or turning off the console, so maybe I'm just paranoid.

On a related PS2 note, I always leave the power switch on the back of the console "on" and just hold in the power button on the front of the console until it turns red when I shut off my PS2. Some of my friends insist on turning it off by the switch in the back each time. Any opinions on this?

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I can understand why he would think this scratches the discs (hitting the tray and still spinning) but it's not true. You're OK.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The stuff about the disc being scratched is pure, um, hokum! Like was said above, only the laser touches the disc anyway (except for the mech that spins the disc, but it doesn't get near the scratchable area). As far as rear or front power, I think it depends on how much you use it. Like any device (like a Computer), if you use it a lot, leave it on (turning off when it is normally on all the time lets the circuits cool and can cause problems when it normally runs all the time). If you don't use it much, turn it off in the back if you want. There is really no definitive proof either way, as far as I know, at least when it comes to a PS2.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

7. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I meant the laser as in the laser beam [​IMG]

8. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Obviously the laser won't scratch the disc, but if the tray were to start ejecting before the spinning disc came to a complete stop, then the disc might get scratched. That said, I would assume (famous last words!) that the system was designed to not start moving the tray until the disc came to a complete stop. The buttons aren't mechanical, so there's no reason why that wouldn't be the case.

10. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

I hate to bring a third console into this [​IMG], but IIRC the GCN manual actually advocates popping the lid while the disc is still spinning (i.e. not powering off first). Or maybe I'm remembering that completely incorrectly.

11. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

The Dreamcast manual says the same thing. At least in the DC case, it is because if you turn it off, the disc will keep spinning (quickly) when you open it, but if you open the lid, the brake is applied to stop the disc. Since they are both top-loading systems, I assume it is the same reason for the Cube.

12. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I've said from the start that I do not understand how this could hurt a disc,it's like ejecting a DVD from a player when it is running. By this theory all 57 of my discs would be scratched or damaged, same thing with my X-Box. The only thing I would assume that would make him think this is that he may think that since the disc is spinning inside the sudden ejecting it would do something violent to the disc. I could understand this if you don't know any better.