Is this Atlantic Technology T70 speaker system going to be much better than my Yammy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Aug 13, 2000

NS-200XT Main Speakers
    NS-AC143 Center Channel
    NS-A425A Surround Speakers
    12" Velodyne Subwoofer (VAI CHT12)

Yamaha HTR5240 recevier

Listed below in italics is the system I was looking at getting. Again, I am only considering buying this IF I get a significant boost in sound quality. I am pretty happy with my current set-up, but I can get a pretty good deal on the Atlantic system. Note, that I will not be upgrading my receiver anytime soon. Also, this system is strictly for home theater. Thanks for your advice.

Atlantic Technology's System T70 is an advanced, high-performance, ultra compact home theater system. The system indudes center, left and right, front, and surround speakers, as well as a 125Watt powered subwoofer. T70 components were specifically designed to offer exceptional sound while remaining completely unobtrusive. The T70's five satellite speakers are all two-way acoustic-suspension designs in ultra compact enclosures whose size and MDF construction rnake thern acoustically inert.
    Atlantic Technology's System T70 is a budget-minded home-theater speaker system with five satellite speakers and a subwoofer. Of particular note in this system are the rear speakers, which use the company's new TriVector design, meant to produce a diffuse sound field for optimum surround sound listening.

The front, rear and center speakers all use a sealed two-way design with 4-inch molded graphite woofers, a power rating of 10-100 watts, frequency response of 100 Hz to 20 kHz, nominal impedance of 6 ohms, and a rather low sensitivity rating of 85dB (you'll want a receiver with at least 60 watts per channel to drive these -- preferably 100). The woofers on the front and center speakers have a titanium coating.

The center speaker, the T70C, uses the woofer-tweeter-woofer D'Appolito configuration with a 1-inch silk dome tweeter. The T70C sits on a tilting base, which can be adjusted to aim the speaker up or down to focus the sound toward your listening position and allow varying speaker placement options. The front speakers, model T70LR, have the same 1-inch tweeter as the center, and like the rears, include keyhole mounts as well as threaded inserts for OmniMount-type brackets.

The rear speakers use Atlantic's new TriVector design, which puts one tweeter on each side of the speaker instead of just one on the front. In this case, the tweeters are 3/4-inch poly dome designs. The woofer is located on the front of the speaker. This design is intended to send the sound in different directions, making it difficult to locate the source. (It's more or less equivalent to a dipolar design.) This is considered by some to be preferable for surround sound applications.

The subwoofer included, the T70PBM, has a sealed enclosure, a 10-inch driver, a 125-watt internal amp, and a respectable rated frequency response of 25 Hz to 125 Hz. The sub uses signal sensing to automatically turn the amp on when it is needed, while the adjustable crossover and variable level control let you adjust the sound.

6-piece sub/sat speaker system
    10-inch subwoofer with 125-watt amp
    two-way satellite speakers
    4-inch molded graphite woofers (front/center/rear)
    1-inch silk dome tweeters (front/center)
    3/4-inch poly dome tweeters (rear)
    sealed enclosure
    magnetically shielded (front/center/subwoofer)
    gold-plated binding-post terminals
    frequency response 100 Hz-20 kHz (front/center/rear)
    frequency response 25 Hz-125 Hz (subwoofer)
    power handling 10-100 watts
    impedance 6 ohms
    sensitivity 85dB
    7.63 x 5.13 x 5.88 inches (HWD), 4.7 lbs (front)
    6.13 x 13.2 x 6.7 inches (HWD), 9.2 lbs (center)
    7.63 x 5.13 x 5.88 inches (HWD), 4.4 lbs (rear)
    16.5 x 11.38 x 14.9 inches (HWD), 37.5 lbs (subwoofer)
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999

First, Yamaha is known for its electronics, not its speakers. Atlantic only makes speakers and has a very good reputation.

The specs ... they dont really tell us much. If I listed the ingredents in several brands of beer, could you tell which one tasted better? Nope.

My advice: unless you can hear the Atlantic system setup and determine it sounds better, dont buy. The Yamaha and Atlantic speakers are both in the "budget" class so I dont think you would get a DRAMATIC improvement.
  3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Aug 13, 2000
    Thanks, Bob. The thing is, if I am going to spend money replace my speakers, I want too hear a BIG difference.