Is this as bad of an idea as I think?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JoshuaHoffman, Dec 9, 2003.

1. JoshuaHoffman

I wasn't happy with my subwoofer placement, so I decided to move it around. I settled on a front position. Now for the problem...there's NO room to put it where I want it (or really anywhere else for that matter).

The situation as such means that I presently am putting my rather large CV LS-10s DIRECTLY ON TOP of the subwoofer. The footprint of the two is relatively the same, and it feels like the sub will take the weight of the speakers.

Is this is a bad idea? It sounds ok to me (this is a temp situation anyway) and fills a need to raise the speakers up. Should I get isolation pads to put inbetween the speaker and subwoofer (and where could I get them)? Thanks guys.

2. John S

John S Producer

I personaly think it is no problemo....

Others may have a different take on it though.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

What is a "CV LS-10s"?

It is a very bad idea to put anything on top of a subwoofer. Anything you put on will vibrate off. This is why subwoofer coffee tables and end tables are a bad idea.

4. JoshuaHoffman

It's a Cerwin Vega LS-10 (my speakers). I highly doubt it will vibrate off. The Cerwins are big boys, and the sub is only 8" (their footprints nearly match). Besides, I would definitely notice and I detected no physical vibrations on the top of the sub when I pumped it (it's down firing).

Any comments on using isolation pads between them? It might also help keep everything in one place, which isn't a concern anyway.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Actually, a little weight on top of a sub that has a less than solid cabinet can help it out by removing some resonance. I see no reason why it would be a problem. Yes, you should isolate them. You don't need anything special to do this.

6. JoshuaHoffman

John, I actually think that it sounded "tighter". I was thinking of using mouse pads as isolation pads. Will that work OK?

7. Rich Stone

Rich Stone Stunt Coordinator

Joshua,

You might want to also consider BlueTack as an option. The mouse pads may also work, you might have to peel the slick top off to prevent sliding though.

Should be no problem at all....

Rich

8. JoshuaHoffman

Quick question about the pads...do they have to cover the WHOLE top/bottom of the sub/speaker or just a significant portion?

9. Rich Stone

Rich Stone Stunt Coordinator

I'd just cut four good size pieces and place them at each corner....this is the way I isolate some of my components and it works well. On the small bookshelfs in my office I've also had good success with sorbothane/rubber cut just smaller than the speaker footprint.

Your call!

Rich

10. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

Wouldn't that put both R+L front speakers in the same place?