Is this an upgrade or downgrade?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Omard., Jun 18, 2004.

1. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

I currently have Bose 301's as my fronts and some Sony's that came from a boom box as my rears. I have the opportunity to get my hands on some RCA pro-lx550 for fronts and rears. Would this be an upgrade or a downgrade?

2. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

I would call that a lateral move. The RCA speakers might sound slightly better because they would be timbre matched.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    It really depends on how important music is to you. Many speakers will do HT well, but not necessarily music. At one point I owned the prior model to the LX-550 in the bedroom system. The LX-550 has an improved woofer compared to that prior model. They are really a good deal at their price point. I have no place for them (I gave my old ones to my brother for that reason) otherwise I would have grabbed them when they closed them out. They are so good at doing music right. My main system includes (L&R) speakers that are $13.5k for the pair and my current bedroom system has identical speakers in the front (L, R & C) channels that are $1k each. In my opinion the LX-550 is a wonderful speaker for music against things that are much more expensive. If you have a very large room and play stuff very loud they may not float everyone's boat. If you have plans for multi-channel SACD or DVD-A music you'll really appreciate them vs. what you have now.

4. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

I don't listen to music very often. If i get them it will be for movie watching. Would they serve my purpose?

5. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

I don't listen to music very often. If i get them it will be for movie watching. Would they serve my purpose?

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    When I had the prior model in my bedroom system which included the center and left and right, it was nice to have timbre matched speakers in the front. They are small bookshelf speakers and need to be on a bookshelf, decent stands or they have threaded rear holes for omnimount brackets. The linaeum tweeter likes space around it so I would not recommend them in an enclosed wall unit. My bedroom is about 230 sq. ft. with a tray ceiling that extended to about 11 ft. high. I had no problems driving them to appropriate levels paired with a powered sub with a 90W per channel receiver. Properly set-up you may find yourself getting more into music. There are other places that have opinions about the speaker such as: http://www.excelsis.com/1.0/entry.ph...15&entryid=184

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    When I had the prior model in my bedroom system which included the center and left and right, it was nice to have timbre matched speakers in the front. They are small bookshelf speakers and need to be on a bookshelf, decent stands or they have threaded rear holes for omnimount brackets. The linaeum tweeter likes space around it so I would not recommend them in an enclosed wall unit. My bedroom is about 230 sq. ft. with a tray ceiling that extended to about 11 ft. high. I had no problems driving them to appropriate levels paired with a powered sub with a 90W per channel receiver. Properly set-up you may find yourself getting more into music. There are other places that have opinions about the speaker such as: http://www.excelsis.com/1.0/entry.ph...15&entryid=184

8. John Roger

John Roger Stunt Coordinator

I would call that an upgrade 'cause Bose 301's are crap speakers.Think about a speaker with just a cone tweeter and 8inch woofer.Not very good for movies.
    I think 201s would have been better.They make good rear speakers.

9. John Roger

John Roger Stunt Coordinator

I would call that an upgrade 'cause Bose 301's are crap speakers.Think about a speaker with just a cone tweeter and 8inch woofer.Not very good for movies.
    I think 201s would have been better.They make good rear speakers.

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    John, I'm glad you said that. I'm just too diplomatic. The 301s however will play louder than the LX-550s so if one is in a big room or listens excessively loud they could be better for HT.

11. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    John, I'm glad you said that. I'm just too diplomatic. The 301s however will play louder than the LX-550s so if one is in a big room or listens excessively loud they could be better for HT.

12. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

I have my theater in my living room/dinning room which is 28x13. Would these speakers be to small for this type of room? I don't want to get these speakers and realize that they are not as loud as my Bose.

13. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

I have my theater in my living room/dinning room which is 28x13. Would these speakers be to small for this type of room? I don't want to get these speakers and realize that they are not as loud as my Bose.

14. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Unfortunately Bose might be the only speaker co. that does not publish specs. Even their manuals won't tell you how efficient the speakers are. You may wish to look at audioreview.com for some info on the Bose. I could be wrong but I believe people tend to rate them as being able to play more loudly than other things. Without measured efficiency (at radioshack.com they tend to have manuals online even for discontinued products and it will list specs) your guess is as good as anyone's.

15. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Unfortunately Bose might be the only speaker co. that does not publish specs. Even their manuals won't tell you how efficient the speakers are. You may wish to look at audioreview.com for some info on the Bose. I could be wrong but I believe people tend to rate them as being able to play more loudly than other things. Without measured efficiency (at radioshack.com they tend to have manuals online even for discontinued products and it will list specs) your guess is as good as anyone's.

16. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

From what I gather here. There is not clear cut winner. The RCA's might be clearer but the Bose are louder. Does that sound about right?

17. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

From what I gather here. There is not clear cut winner. The RCA's might be clearer but the Bose are louder. Does that sound about right?

18. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    That would be my best guess w/o available side by side comparisons or real measured specs. You would have much better timbre matching all the way around. I would guess you would hear much better localization of sounds for DD or DTS movies and everything would be cleaner. For music the differences would be even much more dramatic whether it was 2-Channel or multi-channel DVD-A or SACD. If you used the RCAs w/o a powered sub the Bose would produce more low bass but not necessarily more accurate reproduction of the bass. If you receiver is rated at 85W per channel and you drew 50W peaks on some really demanding soundtracks with the Bose and had a pair of speakers that was 3db less efficient than the Bose you would need a 100W peak to hear it as loudly.

19. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    That would be my best guess w/o available side by side comparisons or real measured specs. You would have much better timbre matching all the way around. I would guess you would hear much better localization of sounds for DD or DTS movies and everything would be cleaner. For music the differences would be even much more dramatic whether it was 2-Channel or multi-channel DVD-A or SACD. If you used the RCAs w/o a powered sub the Bose would produce more low bass but not necessarily more accurate reproduction of the bass. If you receiver is rated at 85W per channel and you drew 50W peaks on some really demanding soundtracks with the Bose and had a pair of speakers that was 3db less efficient than the Bose you would need a 100W peak to hear it as loudly.