What's new

Is this an upgrade or a downgrade? (1 Viewer)

VA livin

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I currently have a home theatre setup that includes

Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 x 200w amp

Marantz AV9000 preamp

Klipsch RF-83's and matching center speaker

Rear speakers are BP-1's

Infinity 1000w subwoofer

It's a nice system, but running it is somewhat complicated as the AV9000 has no HDMI and it's a pain to work around it at times. I want to add a streaming setup and ordered a Squeezebox Touch to add to the system.

HOWEVER, I've just read up on the Onkyo TX-NR808 AVR. It is a networking AVR, has 7? 1.4 HDMI ports and one in front, and is 135 watts per channel. With all the hookups on this I'd have a much cleaner arrangement.

My Questions-

Would the Onkyo have enough power to handle the RF-83's?

Am I going to give up a lot by shelving the AV9000 and the Sunfire?

And if you wanted streaming audio from the internet and your PC's iTunes, would you give up what I have and go with the Onkyo or would you keep my setup and use the Squeezebox Touch? And why?

Thanks much for the help,

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Hmmm, couldn't you just replace the AV9000 with an AV7005 pre/pro and not give up anything? I think that's what I would do.

VA livin

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Thanks for the suggestion. The AV7500 will run me about $1400, according to Amazon, and the TX-NR808 a little less than half that at $679. Have you used a networked receiver/preamp yet? Am curious about whether it's worth the investment considering the bugs I'm reading about or whether to give the $300 Logitech Squeezebox Touch the nod.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks