Is this an upgrade "even though its free"

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RyanJE, Apr 6, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I have a fluance set up right no it is
    2 SV-10s (42hz-20khz)
    1 Av-sc
    2 SV-6's. (50hz-20khz)

Heres what Im thinking. The SV-10's are 8" side firing woofers that are x-over at 800hz. Also the center channel has a titanium tweeter while everything else has neodymium.

I am toying with the idea of selling the SV-10's and Av-SC on ebay and buying 3 more SV-6's for the mains and center. If they sold I could probably actually have enough money left over for some decent fillable stands.

I 12" sub and I crossover at 80hz. I guess what Im concerned with is the mid to low range missing from the SV-10's (firing out the side under 800hz) and the lack of timbre matching.

What do you guys think? I use this for 95% Home Theater.

2. John S

John S Producer

An upgrade??? SV-10's are considered higher end than SV-6's? No?

Now, I can say, that I way prefer the same exact speaker in every location, makes things smooth as silk during pans and such. Easier calibration too.

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Well the SV-10's are towers and the SV-6's are bookshelves. But Im not impressed with the Sv-10's and I figured if Im crossing over at 80 hz that the towers aren't necessarily worth it. The bookshelves are more efficient and and the SV-10 fires

4. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I guess im just intrigued by the idea of an all bookshelf system. It seems it might be more seamless.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

If 100% seamless 360-degree surround sound appeals to you, ... identical bookshelf speakers w/powered-sub is the key!

Phil

6. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Wow, thats some good info Ive never read that on Dolby's site before.

Is any one else out there using this setup...I.E. all identical bookshelf speakers??

John s, how long have you been using this setup?

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

What's odd is the SV-6s seem to be a perfect match to the towers in the SX-HTB. The odd part is that the center and surrounds in the SX-HTB are NOT matched. Why they don't make those towers available seperately as well as a center matched to them and the SV-6 is beyond me. Seems like that would be about the best you could get for around $400.

8. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I asked them that and they said they didnt want to take apart the sx-htb. I had the same thoughts as you originally I wanted the sx-htb towers and 3 sv-6's for center and surrounds.

9. John S

John S Producer

I have been using my 10 JBL S-38's for nearly 3 years now.

But, I help out a ton of people with their HT, and if I am doing the system for them. (Choosing the products) They will always get the exact same speaker in all locations.

When size isn't the prime factor, most times these are what would be considered large bookshelf speakers, 8" Low end driver when possible.

I actually hate most center channel specific speakers. I way prefer a large bookshelf for that duty.

10. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Is there any prob with putting a bookshelf on its side??

11. John S

John S Producer

Maybe on a very select few it may not be good, but most all Bookshelf speakers were meant to be placed either way.

12. matt mettin

matt mettin Auditioning

I'm currently using Energy veritas 2.2 (LF,RF,RR,LR) and A 2.0 c (the matching center)

13. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I guess im wondering is the issue with the

14. John S

John S Producer

Subjectively better at best. Worth it, only you can decide that. I find it better to have identical speakers is about all I can honestly say about it.

I have heard systems with mis-matched, as well as systems with center specific, and then same lined speakers all around that equal or even better systems with all the same speakers as well as the visa-versa. My choice is the same exact speaker, given a choice.