Is this accurate or inaccurate

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vaughan, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Agent

Is it just me but almost everyhing i hear or read in one way or another seems contrived or is just another contradiction to what other people have read. For instance, I've read that in some threads, members say their subwoofers can reach 112 to 114 dbs in their room, BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME, what frequency is being played at this volume 40herz to 120 herz. It is a bit unaccurate to state this as people probably think this is very impressive, however this would be a bad way of preaching a systems output. Can someone please tell me why this so, and why people seem to shy or embarressed to state what low a frequency range they are getting in conjunction with the output.(I am no way implying to the majority is like this, but their are a few that like being showoffs for everone to see.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I suspect people are using the LFE test-tone track on a setup disk like Avia or Video Essentials. This is a mix of sounds from about 15-80 hz. The SPL meter simply reports the loudest sound from the mix.

Others have used individual frequency tones, but not to brag about the volume. Rather they use them to identify peaks & valleys in their room responses. If you search this fourm for "house curve" you will find people who have published their room response as a function of frequency.

Some people spend a lot of time learning, adjusting and measuring their systems. So naturally they are proud of the levels their systems can reach and brag about it. What sets the HTF members apart is that they are usually happy to give you all the details of what they did WRONG first to encourage others to improve their systems.

Bragging is not a bad thing as long as you dont put others down to build yourself up.

3. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Bob, You're clearly onto something. When people are getting into this hobby, I suspect they quickly become intrigued by the amount of bass they were missing and impressed with what they are now capable of. They want to talk (post) about it. Look at the number of questions and posts on subs and bass mgt. They want to talk, boast, brag, and invite everyone they ever knew over to "experience" one of the 10 depth-charge scenes in U-571. I was like that...and sometimes...I still am.
    My sub is modest, but when I rock someone's world with a DVD or I hear a song on the tuner that I haven't heard in years, yet it sounds so much sweeter and fuller because I've got (something resembling) clean and accurate bass... I want to brag about it to everyone.

Clean Bass Rocks!
    --Steve