What's new

Is this a virus or something?? (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi I've noticed this file on my desktop usually after sending emails, it shows up on my desktop and has this mark under it " ~ " . When I click properties it's size is 173 KB and is located in my C:Documents and SettingsGeraldDesktop. I use outlook express THNX!!

anyone know what this is???:D

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It's a backup of your Address Book. Due to a bug in Outlook Express, whenever you update your address book, it tries to create a backup copy of it, and in some cases it places the backup on your desktop. I've found this file on my system in other places, such as the root of the C drive, or the Windows folder.

In any case, it isn't harmful, it isn't caused by a virus, and can be deleted.

KJP

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
GREAT thnx for the info. but why would outlook put it on my desktop?? I usually just deleted them thinking it was a virus or worm!! :)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I think it's putting it in whatever the "current" folder is for the app (normally set in the shortcut used to launch it, the "Start In" field if you edit the shortcut). If your shortcut has the desktop as the current folder, that's where the "~" file ends up. On my box it seems to land in the winnt folder usually.

In any case it's harmless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks