What's new

Is this a valid address for windowsupdates? (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us

I know there was some concern about DNS cache vulnerability, which redirects?
Etc.

I thought installation of Microsoft Update (Vs continuing to use Windowsupdate) was still voluntary.
When attempting to check for updates I am being redirected to the above link, which will not allow further movement until I download and install an ‘update’ to my system which will switch future updates from “windowsupdate” to the new site “Microsoft update”.
Each time I attempt to access the old windowsupdate site I am immediately kicked into the above link, I cannot access my update history etc on the old site.

I am concerned that the address listed above (in its entirety) …is Microsoft.

PS: weird, when pasting the link it is not reflecting the address in full as I see it in my address bar;
Which is: (spaces added so link will not convert)

http : // update.microsoft.com / windowsupdate / v6 / default.aspx?In = en-us

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
They have just updated their site. Windows (OS) updates were always downloaded from "microsoft updates" and the mandatory update it wants you to download is, in fact, the latest version of the Windows update software. (And it says so right on the screen.)

If you're getting there by clicking "Windows Update" in IE or because you have Automatic Updates enabled you can be pretty sure that this is not some kind of browser hijack.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks