Is this a typo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_To, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Steve_To

Steve_To Auditioning

I'm receiving a free DVD player a part of a promotional give away at my office. The brochure says :
    "Sony DVD Player with built-in Dolby Digital Decoder. Has the ability to play CD's, record and rewrite with SmoothScan and SmoothSlow modes"
    I know that some DVD players can play CD's and CD-RW's, but does anyone make one that burns CD's?...or is it just a poorly written description of the unit?
    And in either case, does anyone know what model number this unit may be?? I'd like to look up the specs.
    Thanks

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Poorly written description. It is stating that it plays those types of discs. I would assume, unless they are giving away some extremely old Sony machines that they are referring to the DVP-NS400. Just a guess. Most B&M stores sell it for $229.99

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Actually, I think the brochure is even more poorly written than you think.
    I haven't seen any Sony DVD players that are also CD recorders. SmoothScan is Sony's name for how its players handle fast forward and reverse, and SmoothSlow is its name for how the players handle slow motion. I think that what the brochure was trying to tout the machine by mentioning the SmoothScan and SmoothSlow modes without really knowing what they were.
    In other words, whoever wrote the brochure didn't know squat about the player.