Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Philip_T, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

I just got an email supposedly from msn stating that they cant verify my identity and to click on a link to enter my email address and password or I'll lose access to my MSN services. Huh????? I've had my msn hotmail account for years and nothing like this has ever happened. Here is the email.

Reply-To : MSNCards Supporting
    Sent : Thursday, November 18, 2004 7:42 AM
    To :
    Subject : Your membership will be suspended

| | | Inbox

Darling MSN services user,
    During one of our regular automated verification procedures we've encountered
    a trouble caused by the fact that we could not verify the information that you provided to us.
    Please, give us the following information so that we could fully verify your identity.
    Otherwise your access to MSN services will be closed.

To verify your data please follow this link https://start.msn.com/track?identity

Thanks for using MSN Services.
    MSNFee Office.
    © 2004 MSN. All Rights Reserved, Redistribution for profit prohibited.

Darling MSN server user???????? DARLING????? WTF?
    When you click on the link, it takes you to this
    page
    Notice the url,,,, longocabinets.com????????

This seems highly suspicious to me. Anyone ever run across this???

2. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Just got off the phone with tech support and it is indeed a scam. 3rd call he got tonight about it.

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    One way to find out what's going on is to find out where that link is REALLY going, just like you did Philip. I get periodically mails that are supposedly coming from PayPal, but are ALWAYS so-called phishing mails (for password fishing).

In any case, the text of the link says that it's going to a PayPal server, however the actual link address is ALWAYS different (for people who don't know: right-click, save link address, then paste into text file). Then you KNOW it's a spoof.

Also, legit emails from services you use should always address you by your actual name, because they acutally have it, and not just your email address that the frauds found somewhere online and use in their emails.

Be always on the lookout for spoofed mails like this!

-Christian

4. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

just another reason to block mail from folks that arent in yer address book. and use a filter. Start using popfile, do a google search for it, and you wont have to worry about this stuff.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

That's as far as I had to read to know it was a scam.

Darling????

6. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Er, that won't solve the problem if you want to see legit emails from these services. Fraudulently using these email addresses is easy enough.

That's why the industry is currently trying to come up with standards for email authentication (which might fail due to software patents, different solutions pushed, etc).

-Christian