Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by marc paolella, Jan 18, 2003.

1. marc paolella

marc paolella Auditioning

I just bought a Velodyne VX-10 subwoofer as a present for my nephew. I made the puchase online at 6th Avenue Electronics, a well recognized retailer (B&M as well as online) in this area.

The trouble is, I can't find any reference to this model anywhere on the net. The Velodyne website does not list it as a present or discontinued model.

I know, I know, I didn't do my homework. It's just that since I know Velodyne makes basically OK stuff, and since 6th Av. electronics is well known and I've purchased from them before, and since the price was only $169 on sale, I figured screw it, sounds like a good gift. Now I'm wondering if it's a counterfeit.

Anybody heard of this sub before?

-Marc

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Check the Velodyne spelling on the product and/or owner's manual.

Things like "Rolox" instead of "Rolex" abound. Although it is legal (If not morally proper) to make a product with a similar sounding name as a popular one, it is an infringement of copyright laws to sell a fake, in other words a product using somebody else's's copy-written name.

If you are stuck with a "fake" I am sure the store will refund your money. If it's a "copycat", it would depend on store policy.

I've never heard of any Velodyne sub selling for this low price.

Best regards.

John

PS I noticed a duplicate post. You might want to delete it.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

an associate i once knew proudly showed me her Polex she'd bought while overseas. she knew it was a fake but a damned good Rolex fake.
    on the sub issue, i'd give 6th ave a call and see what they say followed by a call to velodyne.

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Have you gotten the sub yet? 6th Avenue is an OK dealer (not great, but reasonably honest), but their ads are frequently incorrect. It's possible it's a Velodyne with a different designation -- HGS-10 or CHT10 -- or it's possible it was supposed to be a M&K VX-100.
    Better yet, I just found the same unit for $199 at One Call and it's listed as a brand new style/unit so I expect the literature and website haven't even listed it yet.
    http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_17972.htm

5. John F. Palacio

David says:

6. marc paolella

marc paolella Auditioning

Alllrighty then. I guess it's a new product. I guess my nephew will make a good guinea pig. We'll see if a sub $200 Velodyne is anything more than a black coffee table. I notice the specs are a little light, reflecting the price, no doubt. His room is small anyhow, so I'm sure this unit will be enough for him.

Thanks all for the responses. This is definitely the most interesting and useful forum on the net, AV-wise.

7. John F. Palacio

8. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

PRICE BREAK! Now Only 169.97 Velodyne VX-10 - 150 Watt 10-Inch Bass Reflex Powered Subwoofer
    6th AVE I found this online add