Is this a quality TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kasey Baughan, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Kasey Baughan

Kasey Baughan Auditioning

It's a Toshiba 65H84, I don't have enough posts to link yet.

A friend of ours had bought this TV and is really happy with it, and we're about to get a full home theatre setup and we chose this TV. I don't know all that much about home theatre stuff so I thought I'd ask yall if this was a quality TV that would last awhile. Also, should we wait until Christmas season till we order it? Will the price go down that much?

2. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

Even "quality" TV's can be Lemons. My first HD set was a Toshiba TN55X81. It went to the shop no less than 4 times during the first year, and was gone for a total of about 7 weeks, at 11 1/2 months the convergence went horribly awry again. I called Toshiba for the umteenth time only to have Tosh tell me that they had no record of me!

There are even reports of a nagging issue with Pioneer elite RPTV's, ($6000 CRT RPTVs) so its always somewhat of a crapshoot. The main thing with all consumer electronics is how well a company stands behind their product, and in my experience Sony and Toshiba are two of the worst, and Samsung was outstanding.

That TV was over 4 1/2 years ago, and I'll still never buy anything from Toshiba over $300. YMMV.

3. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

I have had great luck with Toshiba standing behind their product, and actually fairly poor with Toshiba. I find the best way to get consisten service is to find a good service centre, and deal with them. Then they go back at the manufacturer for their $$$'s. I have found Toshiba products to get serviced very quickly, while Samsung tends to have a problem with availability of parts (at least here in Canada).

As far as CRT RPTV's, I would stick to Toshiba, Panasonic or Hitachi.