What's new

Is this a problem with my car? (1 Viewer)

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
I drive a 90 Celica GT, 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive.
What I notice is that when climbing a steep hill, I usually hit the overdrive button (which drops it into 3rd gear), and after about 15 seconds I smell something getting hot. The tachs at 3200 rpm and around 85-90 km/hr when this happens. Once I get over the hill I take overdrive off and the car is fine again. Is this normal when there is more stress on the engine, or is there a problem that could be causing this? All fluids are at the proper levels, however its been a while since the tranny fluid was changed even though it still looks good. Any advice? :frowning:

Cam S

Screenwriter
Overdrive makes the final gear ratio a little longer which lets the engine operate at lower RPM's on the highway when it is in the final gear, usually 4th or 5th. It shouldn't really be used in the city, especially up big hills.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I believe the "overdrive button" on automatics turns overdrive off, at least that's what my mom's Galant does, a little light on the dashboard lights up when you push the button.

Simple suggestion, have you checked the fluids, especially the ATF? Should be the first thing to check and shouldn't be difficult to do.

Jay

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
I have checked the ATF fluid and it is at the proper level. Also, yes pushing the overdrive button takes overdrive off and drops to a lower gear, which I do when going up a steep hill.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
When you say "something smells hot", what kind of smell is it? A burning smell, a rotten egg smell, or what? Rotten egg smell sometimes happens when I push my car hard, it's probably the catalytic converter getting hot. If it's more a burning smell, maybe your alternator or A/C belt is slipping? Just some ideas...

KJP

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
Its not a rotten egg smell, its more of a something is overheating smell, it smells slightly oiley but my car doesnnt leak or burn oil. Its possible it could be a belt, I will check it out and see if I can find anything. thx

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
I would check to see if there is some slippage in your automatic trans torque converter as well as see if your brakes are hanging up a little. Just a thought.
Marc

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I wish I could help. However, I don't see why anyone with a celica would want an auto:thumbsdown:
Nice car however:D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
You could have a minor oil leak dripping onto the exhaust system somewhere, burning off before it drips on the ground. Oil burning off hot surfaces usually has a very acrid odor, but not particularly sulfurous or like rotten eggs.

Another possibility is coolant leaking somewhere (keep a close watch on the level in the reserve tank, only remove the main radiator cap when the engine's cold.), coolant leaks will generally have a sorta sweet smell. Coolant leaking onto hot surfaces will often evaporate and you won't have any drips under the car.

Does the temp guage stay in it's normal range going up this hill?

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I had a leaking torque convertor on my Toyota Van. So, we hadda keep putting transmission fluid in it. When we had the engine rebuilt, they noticed it had the wrong bolts, and it caused the TC to warp and crack. So, they replaced it. It's pretty strong too. With a four banger under my ass, it can hold it on a hill pretty good. I also have an Overdrive switch. I keep it turned on most of the time. Had no need to turn it off. I only turn it off for a while when I drive up this mountain. I usually keep it on and use the throttle to downshift. It starts slowing down, I give it more throttle, it automatically downshifts, speed goes about 60 MPH, then I let back, then it shifts back up to forth. I keep doing this until I'm over the mountain. I was also loosing water from my radiator. So, I poured a bottle of Barz Leak and that fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks