What's new

is this a problem (possible serious) (1 Viewer)

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
When I have the volume turned up (near max) all my speakers start getting this static like sound, and it is really annoying inbetween songs so just wondering is something wrong with the reciever or is this normal?

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Turn it down. That is distortion. It is very bad for the speakers. You are going to fry a tweeter before long. If you want to listen that loud, get a more powerful amp.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Thats how clipping sounds like. If you haven't already damaged your speakers you will if you continue this trend. Either get a more powerful receiver or if your receiver has preouts add a separate amp, or get more sensitive speakers (like Klipsch) or move your system to a smaller room.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay well see I was using my mp3 player and i figured to save battery on that i can have it output low and then just turn up the reciever to compensate apparently that was dumb lol So how can I tell if they are damaged or not?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Wait, are you talking about clipping when you play the MUSIC really loud (distortion) or just hiss/static when you have the volume knob up far, but during quiet passages and such? It sounds like you mean the latter, in which case, it's not clipping, just noisy circuitry in your receiver. Turn it down till the hissing goes away or is unnoticable, and then turn up your mp3 player a little bit to compensate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks