Is this a great friend???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Valerie Brown, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Valerie Brown

Valerie Brown Stunt Coordinator

A friend asked if I wanted her used LD player. The just got a DVD player and no longer wanted the LD player. I told her I would take it so it wouldn't go to "Good Will". She would have no use for her LDs so she said I could have them.

She just gave them to me today. Boy was I surprised. She gave me a LD copy of ROTLA. I had looked for it and couldn't find it on LD. Boy is my husband going to be happy.

Isn't this a great friend.

Valerie

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Short answer, YES!

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

That does sound like a really good friend to have. But for the life of me I can't figure out what ROTLA might be.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

ROTLA: Raiders of the Lost Ark?
    I have that one. Good sound!

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Nevermind, I found it. I had to do a search, I'd honestly don't recall seeing that acronym before. For those who don't know, its Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Now I must say, that's one heck of a gift. That'd be a nice one to get hold of. I should have bought it back in the day, but LDs were just so expensive and I didn't have much money, so I bought very few.

6. Valerie Brown

Valerie Brown Stunt Coordinator

Raiders of the lost ark.
    Valerie

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I had a friend do something similar. He gave me his LD player (Pioneer DVL-909) because it wouldn't play DVDs anymore (pickup bad), but plays LDs and CDs fine. He didn't have any LDs, so he gave it to me.

What a swell guy, particularly in light of the fact that he was laid off in October, and yet I'm still working (we worked in the same office).

Todd

8. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

[​IMG] What else can I say? [​IMG]

9. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Valerie,
    I'd be willing to let you be my really great friend if you would just mail me that LD of Raiders. [​IMG]
    I might even say thank you! [​IMG]
    Moe.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I gave one of my friends a Pioneer 606 for X-Mas because it was just collecting dust and he'd get more use out of it than I would. Plus, I needed the shelf space... [​IMG]

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

A girl here at work won a Phillips CD burner from a radio station and never used it. I would jokingly ask her about it on occasion and one day she just offered it to me. Well, who am I to turn down free electronics?
    The device is pretty useless, really, since I have a burner on my computer. And I had a hard time explaining to my wife how this 22 year old gave me what appeared to be a brand new CD burner for free.
    So, if anyone is giving away free stuff.. I'll take it. [​IMG]

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

"She just gave it to you, huh?"
    Oh man, my wife wouldn't let me get away with that without a lot of grief! It would have to be something better than a CD burner before I would let myself go through that! LOL!

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

14. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Not to turn this into an electronics discussion, but the Phillips model I have works pretty much the same as a standard cassette recorder with a rec-in and rec-out. So, you really can't just stick in a CD and say COPY. You'd have to play the original on another source and record it to a cd-r on the fly. It's much easier to use the click/drag interface on a computer. It is handy if I ever want to record audio from a television, for example. And it does support CD Text.. which is nice.
    But, I've been using it as my standard CD player to replace my old Sony player that would skip if you just looked at it. [​IMG]
    I can send you that one if you like. [​IMG]

15. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

You lucky Girl you. [​IMG]
    ANd Dave if you want someone to give that Burner away to since you have one on your computer just let me know. D:
    KyleS